Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    AKaeTrue Posts: 1,599, Reputation: 272
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 11:40 AM
    Shutting down, I get message other people are logged on to my computer
    I seem to recall a similar question on this board somewhere, but I'm not pulling it up in the search, so please forgive me...
    When I go to shut down, I get a message that says other people are logged on to my computer and shutting down will cause them to lose information.
    This is not people within my own network, so how can I stop this from happening?
    Thanks for any advice on what to do to fix this...
    Kae
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 11:49 AM
    Do you have any shared folders?
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 12:05 PM
    I do and I can't seem to find the place I need to go to change it.
    This happened once before and I remember somehow turning it off or changing the settings, but I can't for the life of me figure it out again... LOL
    NeedKarma Posts: 10,635, Reputation: 1706
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 12:16 PM
    Is this a home network or work? Either way that message measn that someone probably has your shared folder open on their computer and by you shutting down your computer you will break that link.

To look for shared folder open Windows Explorer and look for this icon

1.Right-click the shared folder or drive, and then click Sharing and Security.
    2.To stop sharing all instances of the shared resource, click Do not share this folder. (or clear the Share this folder on the network check box depending on your Windows version)
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 01:53 PM
    Thanks Karma for your help.
    I have a wireless connection from my husbands home business.
    I made the changes in the shared folder. Thank you for helping me get there.
    That will probably do the trick:D .
    Kae
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Feb 15, 2007, 01:56 PM
    If there are multiple user accounts on the PC and someone used their account then Switched Users instead of Logging off. You will also get that message
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 02:26 PM
    You know, I did just create another user acct for my children.
    I bet that's why it's been happening every time I try to shut down lately.
    Thanks Scott!
    Kae

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My computer keeps shutting down! [ 2 Answers ]

My computer keeps shutting down? Every 20 or 30 minutes my computer will show a blue screen and then shut down. When I log back on I get an error message saying that my PC has recovered from a serious error. I sent the report and it opened up the following information from Microsoft. Solution 2...

Computer takes up to 5 minutes shutting down [ 1 Answers ]

Hi, I have problems with my laptop shutting down quickly. If I click start>shut down, most of my time is spent waiting for the shutdown dialog box, the one which asks to restart-logoff-shutdown. My alternate is ctrl+alt+del and shut down from the menu there, but while I don't have to wait for the...

Computer Randomly Shutting Off [ 5 Answers ]

Hello, I work with computers and networks on a regular basis, so I have a decent idea with what I am doing, but I am no professional. The PC I'm trying to work with randomly shuts down, usually only when in use, not when idle. The machine did have a worm on it, but the hard drive was...

Shutting Down Computer [ 2 Answers ]

?? After disconnecting from the internet, I cannot shut down the computer from the "start" button.  A gray box comes up - "Outlook HTML Menu - This program is not responding.  It maybe busy, waiting on a response from you, or it may have stopped running".  Clicking on "wait, end task, or close"...

Shutting down computer [ 2 Answers ]

Help! When attempting to shut down the computer via the "start" button, after being on the internet, a gray box comes up that says, "Outlook HTML Menu - this program is not responding. It maybe busy, waiting on a response form you, or it may have stopped running." Clicking on "wait, end task,...

View more questions Search