Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ttaayylloorr18 Posts: 44, Reputation: -3

Jan 27, 2012, 05:03 PM
    I'm 18 and I want to leave home but parents won't let me. What to do?
    My dad is unreasonable. I am a senior in high school but I have not been able to sleep, eat right, or even focus on school. I am exhausted and depressed. I have support with my boyfriend's family, but my dad hates him and does not know we are together. I have moved most of my stuff there already. I just have to tell them I am leaving. Can my dad be arrested for keeping me in the house against my will?
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 27, 2012, 05:53 PM
    ANY question on law needs to include your general locale as laws vary by area.

If you are still in HS you may not be able to move out until you graduate.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 27, 2012, 06:27 PM
    His parents should be ashamed, even discussing or allowing you to move in, without talking to your parents first. How sad, does no one follow proper moral acts any longer.

Just how bad, what is really happening at home, just don't want you to date this boy perhaps

Jan 27, 2012, 08:12 PM
    Fr_Chuck. Um excuse me. Who are you to tell me anything like that. You clearly do not know that I am living in a very controlling environment. I am an adult. I make my own choices. Maybe you don't understand that my living situation is making me depressed. I am oppressed from doing anything I want to do. I get screamed at and cussed out for being out of my house with my friend for two hours. Think before you make ignorant statements. I can date who I want. Especially him. The only reason they do not like him is because he has tattoos and a motorcycle. But he treats me like a queen. He has never done anything worth hating him for.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2012, 08:30 PM
    Listen... this is life... when you are old enough to graduate... get a job and support yourself, then you get to make your own decisions.. Hopefully you will get some maturity before you ruin your life. I haven't seen a shred of any in your post.

I mean cripes just listen to yourself... he can't even support himself yet... he's mooching off his parents. He has money for tattoos and a motorcycle... but not his own place... does he even have a real job?

I got to tell you this but Fr_Chuck has forgotten more in the last 24 hours about life than you even know yet. So have I.

Yeah.. its going to tick you off to hear this... but you are acting like a child.

Your parents are the only ones exhibiting any common sense.

I see you having a kid... and Mr. Perfect not only not supporting you or it... but he's off doing it to someone else inside of a year if you don't drop the attitude and listen to people that have a far better grasp of reality than you do.

Jan 27, 2012, 08:38 PM
    Again, I have an attitude for good reason. He earned all the money his family has. He professionally raced the motorcycles and made millions. Thank you very much. His dad is 70 years old and retired he can not work. So he does not mooch off anyone. He takes care of his disabled dad. That is what his job is. He's entering the army. He has a life. And I have my own. I have a better grasp on reality than my dad does that's for sure. There's a difference between being protective and being emotionally abusive and controlling. If I don't like the situation I will remove myself from the situation. So YOU drop the attitude since you are not even answering my question.
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2012, 08:49 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaayylloorr18 View Post
    again, i have an attitude for good reason. He earned all the money his family has. He professionally raced the motorcycles and made millions. thank you very much. His dad is 70 years old and retired he can not work. so he does not mooch off of anyone. he takes care of his disabled dad. that is what his job is. He's entering the army. he has a life. and i have my own. i have a better grasp on reality than my dad does thats for sure. there's a difference between being protective and being emotionally abusive and controlling. if i dont like the situation i will remove myself from the situation. so YOU drop the attitude since you are not even answering my question.
    You are the one with the attitude here... and no I'm NOT going to drop it because every single . Child that had an attitude like you have I have ever known, has seriously screwed their life up. Not just a little but a lot. And I see a child not an adult when I read that.

Amazing how much you think you know, and yet how utterly clueless you are about everything.

Gee, how unique you are to be gifted with such expertise without ever having lived on your own. You must be the first 18 year old in history that has everything figured out before they have ever been on their own... (I'm being sarcastic because NONE do)

Its not too late to listen to people that know far more than you do... and that includes your parents. You haven't made mistakes that can't be fixed yet.

Jan 27, 2012, 08:53 PM
    Well aren't you a lovely individual? I am absolutely not an idiot. I know I don't want to live in a household where I am not treated with respect.
    afaroo Posts: 4,006, Reputation: 251
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2012, 09:11 PM
    Hello Ttaayylloorr,

You better listen to the experts here they have given the best advices if you listen to them is fine if not that is yours choice, you came to this website for help, if you don't need help, then I wish you a good luck.

John
    Uber Member

Jan 27, 2012, 10:24 PM
    well arent you a lovely individual? I am absolutely not an idiot. i know i dont want to live in a household where i am not treated with respect.
    One of the first life lessons you have to learn.. is you have to learn how to give respect before you deserve any in return. And that starts at home.

If you can't even respect your own family... then you can't respect others, and you thus don't deserve any in return.

Personally you can jump off a bridge if you want, or step in front of a bus... you have to live the consequences of your actions... I'm giving you solid advice before you get yourself into a mess you will never get out of, and alienate the people in this world that care the most about you... and its not Mr. Tattoo, its your own family. He can turn his back on you and walk away as easy and fast as he can snap his fingers. And he will at some point. The only people you can count on in life is yourself and your family.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 27, 2012, 10:48 PM
    Im sorry maybe its me. But I don't see where the OP was rude to anyone. She got upset when she was attacked, and basically told she was a moral-less idiot.

And I would really like to see a cite of law that says an 18 year old cannot move out of their parents home. Because I do not believe that is true

An 18 year old can drop out of high school and move across the country if they wish.

Sorry. This is just my opinion.
    But I believe this question was handled incorrectly and with harsh judgement.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 27, 2012, 10:53 PM
    I am an adult. I make my own choices.
    I am oppressed from doing anything I want to do.
    Huh? Those two statements don't make any sense together.

How old is your boyfriend?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 28, 2012, 08:05 AM
    Guys, the OP is 18. She can't be held against her will no matter what the jurisdiction, and she isn't listening to logic.

Ttaayylloor, you are being argumentative. No one called you an idiot or anything of the sort. If you think you can support yourself (not that your boyfriend and his parents can support you, because that will get old for them very quickly), and still finish school, then you do have the right. Legally, your parents can't stop you. And your parents have the right to withdraw all financial support and refuse to allow you to move back home. Be sure you have your ducks in a row before you do something you can't undo.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 08:10 AM
    well arent you a lovely individual? I am absolutely not an idiot. i know i dont want to live in a household where i am not treated with respect.

Yes, he is a lovely individual and I don't think an educated adult person would be posting this question on a public board.

You lie to your parents. They don't treat you with respect. I think there's a link there.

And your boyfriend made MILLIONS motorcycle racing? Now that's something I know something about - tell me more.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 09:04 AM
    Yes, she is a silly child who has no respect for herself or others, Of course she is lying to parents, not coming home when she should. No wonder she is not doing well in school.
    It sounds like her family wants her to do good in school but she wants to run around, party and be out instead of being home.

And how old is this motorcycle man with all the tattoos? If his father is 70 my guess it puts in in the 35 to 50 year old range. So what mom or dad wants their child running around with a old man. What is he, about the same age as your parents ?

Also there is a front door, if you want to leave, walk out of it, you are out late at night by your own posts, so just don't ever return home no one is chaining you to the wall.
    Although with this attitude and choices you seem to want to make handcuffs and a jail cell most likely will not be far away.

Part of growing up and making your own choices is making good ones.
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 09:57 AM
    Well good job everyone, showing this young lady how to act like a mature adult.

Have a nice day everyone.

I completely disagree with all this.
    And thank you EVER so much for the reddie.
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 10:08 AM
    I'm 18 and I want to leave home but parents won't let me. What to do?
    Hello t:

You're an adult.. Pack your knives and go.

excon
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2012, 10:15 AM
    First, to Schoolmarm, your advice may not have been correct. In some states an 18 yr old cannot be on their own until they finish high school. The OP is not being imprisoned. I asked where the OP was so we could the k the law. Instead of answering me she chose to this Chuck for invalid response. Based on the info posted it was a valid response

Second, I have doubts about the veracity of the OP. She states that her boyfriend has earned millions motorcycle racing, but is now going to join the army! How many millionaires would join the army?

In my opinion, the OP got answers she didn't like. These answers were based on what she posted. Instead of trying to clarify her situation so we could provide better advice, she chose to argue with the people trying to help her.

But the bottom line here is the laws where she lives. If the law says she is an adult when she turns 18, then she can move out, If there is a qualification about graduating first, then she is stuck.

So lets ALL calm down and let the OP give us the jnfo we need to answer her.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 10:16 AM
    There are some locations that 18 is not the age of majority, and if in school, they can not just legally move out.
    Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    well good job everyone, showing this young lady how to act like a mature adult.

have a nice day everyone.

i completely disagree with all this.
    and thank you EVER so much for the reddie.

I don't see a "young lady" in fact none of her actions show she is ever acting like a lady at all. And how anyone can consider she should run off with someone , who appears to be much older and not stay at home and finish high school is beyond me.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can you leave your parents when you're 18? [ 1 Answers ]

Well, my 18th birthday has just gone by and I am hoping that I can go and live on my own. But I don't know how to ask my parents! I know it sounds pretty supid but I need advice. I have got a job and money but I still live with my parents and all of my other friends are in flats. It's quite...

When can I take my baby and leave my parents house [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and have a 5 month old baby... my parents are trying to control everything I do they won't let me raise my kid they are trying to take over... when can I legally move out so I can raise my baby myself with the help of the daddy??

I'm 18 and my parents won't let me leave my house [ 9 Answers ]

My parents won't let me leave my house I've been 18 for 2 months and I'm ready to leave. Their being unfair about things. I left last night and they got the school involved in it so I might be kicked out of school tomorrow.

Both Parents leave Canada [ 1 Answers ]

My ex wife has moved abroad and I have as well. My chiild will soon be 18 and going to university in his/her home country. Would a new order for support have to be from Canada or the countryhe /she now lives in (the UK) if she requests me to continue to pay while the child lives away at University...

Wwhat to do if you want to leave your parents and join another family withou parents [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do when I want to leave my family and join another at 16-years old?

View more questions Search