Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 10:34 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by jenniepepsi View Post
    well good job everyone, showing this young lady how to act like a mature adult.

have a nice day everyone.

i completely disagree with all this.
    and thank you EVER so much for the reddie.

Jennie, your sarcasm is unwarranted. I didn't give you the reddie. I don't know who did but please don't tar me with the same brush.

You disagree? Fine. Taking a swipe at the people who did offer advice helps no one.

What is your advice to her?
    ttaayylloorr18 Posts: 44, Reputation: -3

Jan 28, 2012, 12:00 PM
    But I can not respect my family if they do not respect me. I follow their house rules. I don't drink, do drugs, I don't go out without telling them and I make sure it's OK. I help them when they need me to without question. My dad treats me like I'm nothing. He doesn't show me any love. He does not show me any respect as a daughter or as a legal adult. He screams at me for everything. I don't deserve it.

Actually everyone he is 20 years old. I am 18. His dad is much older than his mom. He made millions but got sued because I asked him to quit racing to save his life. I did not know he had a contract and they sued him. So that is why he's joining the army. To go into military police. The only reason I lie to them is because my dad doesn't listen to me. I can't tell him anything because he doesn't let me speak. And I am engaged to him.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 28, 2012, 12:11 PM
    Unfortunately, none of that really matters from a legal standpoint. If you feel you are being abused go to a guidance counselor at your school. They can get family services involved. If an investigation agrees that your parents are over stepping the bounds of parenting, then you will be placed in a foster situation until you have reached your majority (if you haven't already-you still haven't told us where you are).

If not, then you have to live by your parents' rules until you do.

Jan 28, 2012, 12:13 PM
    I live in Nevada and I'm pretty positive that I can leave at 18. Im going to talk to my school police on Monday though. And for the record, I'm going to finish high school. And I do NOT party. I'm not failing, but I am getting a couple C's
    jenniepepsi Posts: 4,042, Reputation: 533
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 12:15 PM
    When a teenager reaches the age of 18, he does not have to petition the court to make his emancipation official. It occurs automatically, along with the rights that come with it. An 18-year-old does not need his parents’ permission to move out of their home. If his parents don’t live together and a custody order is in effect, it no longer binds him. He can live with whichever parent he prefers."

http://info.legalzoom.com/nevada-law...ild-20794.html

http://www.law.cornell.edu/wex/table_emancipation

http://law.findlaw.com/state-laws/mi...he-law/nevada/

Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    Jennie, your sarcasm is unwarranted. I didn't give you the reddie. I don't know who did but please don't tar me with the same brush.

You disagree? Fine. Taking a swipe at the people who did offer advice helps no one.

What is your advice to her?
    I didn't say YOU gave me the reddi judy. It was as general comment, since we can no longer see WHO gives reddies.

Sorry if I made you mad. I still disagree with how this question was handled

Jan 28, 2012, 01:16 PM
    Thanks Jennie for doing the research. Laws of emancipation don't really apply here but as soon as you turn 18 you are considered an adult so the OP is free to move out.

Jan 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
    OK, I'm free to move out. Yes, but can my dad be in legal trouble if he decides to barricade me in the house?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 01:25 PM
    Then if you are an adult... MOVE. As long as you live under someone else's roof, you have to live by their rules... and its going to be no different if you move in with Mr. Prefect. You will be living under the rules of HIS parents since he's not self supporting if he doesn't have his own place.

However when you are an adult... NOBODY is under any obligation to house you, feed you, clothe you, or give you any money.

Adults pay their own way in life... completely. You can't have it both ways...

Being an adult comes with all the adult responsibilities. If you stay its YOUR choice and you will follow the rules of who pays the bills.

And you are in for one hell of a shock when you have to get by on what you make or do without... because its not going to be much.

Jan 28, 2012, 01:37 PM
    Oh my god. That's not the question I want answered. I know I can move. However, if my dad barricades me or holds me in the house can he be in any legal trouble?
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 02:33 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaayylloorr18
    "he doesnt show me any love. he does not show me any respect as a daughter or as a legal adult. He screams at me for everything."
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaayylloorr18 View Post
    oh my god. thats not the question I want answered. I know i can move. However, if my dad barricades me or holds me in the house can he be in any legal trouble?
    He won't try to stop you. How would he know you're leaving? Pack up all YOUR stuff you want to take with you, don't say anything to him, and leave.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 03:10 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by ttaayylloorr18 View Post
    again, i have an attitude for good reason. He earned all the money his family has. He professionally raced the motorcycles and made millions. thank you very much. His dad is 70 years old and retired he can not work. so he does not mooch off of anyone. he takes care of his disabled dad. that is what his job is. He's entering the army. he has a life. and i have my own. i have a better grasp on reality than my dad does thats for sure. there's a difference between being protective and being emotionally abusive and controlling. if i dont like the situation i will remove myself from the situation. so YOU drop the attitude since you are not even answering my question.

So who is taking care of Dad while the boyfriend is in the military police?

But, yes, move out. If your father attempts to stop you, call the Police. Expect your father to claim a LOT of what you are taking with you. The Police won't help with your belongings so then you'll go to Court and sue to get your belongings back.

But you'll be on your own.

I'd like to know more about making millions racing motorcycles. As I said - I have a connection.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 03:31 PM
    You had said, "I know I can move. [I]f my dad barricades me or holds me in the house can he be in any legal trouble?"

You're 18. You leave home. (It's legal in your state.) Why would he get into legal trouble?
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 03:36 PM
    WG, I think she is asking, if she DOES try to leave, and her father physically restrains her and prevents her leaving, can he be in trouble.

And I don't automatically assume that her father wouldn't do that, my own parents frequently behaved that way.
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 03:54 PM
    Jen, why does he have to know she's leaving? Why can't she just leave without announcing the fact?
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 04:05 PM
    Oh I agree. I think she should quietly pack her bags, and move out over night.

But she is still afraid. I was terrified for years that my parents would take my daughter away from me, even though I was 25, KNEW they could not, and knew that they would be arrested if they tried. It made no difference, the fear was still there.
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 04:30 PM
    Of course... you might find the locks changed afterwards (I would change them)... But you are an adult and on your own. You don't NEED to come back. And being an adult, you wouldn't be entitled to come back. One of those things that go with being an adult.

Jan 28, 2012, 05:50 PM
    If he does try to prevent you from leaving, then that could be considered unlawful detainment. That could get him in legal trouble.

So the question is why make it a confrontation? I'm assuming your father works. So while's he's at work, you pack up and leave. If you have to rent a trailer or U-Haul (TM), then do so. Because, based on what you have said, he's unlikely to let you back. Also, don't take anything that you can't prove belongs to you. Because he may charge you with theft.

That being said I do have to wonder at the question. It sounds to me like you would like to get him in trouble and are looking to deliberately cause a confrontation. I would strongly advise against that as it will open a can of worms you probably don't want opened.

I still have misgivings about your veracity. I strongly suspect you made up a lot of what you told us to to justify yourself.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 28, 2012, 08:07 PM
    Yes, one of my boys ( leaving on less than good terms) discovered, he really owned nothing.
    I had bought the bedroom set, his TV and so on, he really owned nothing, He got his clothes in plastic trash bags.

The OP goes out, comes and goes, they are not chained to the wall. They can walk out and leave the house anytime they want.

So what do you own in the house, you will want to take? Just what you earned the money for and bought or what boyfriend bought you
    Uber Member

Jan 28, 2012, 08:14 PM
    Yep... she's got a seriously important life lesson to learn about not burning any bridges. But I guess its one she's got to learn the hard way since she's not listening to anyone that knows better than she does.
    Ultra Member

Jan 28, 2012, 10:52 PM
    We ALL learn from our own mistakes. That's how humans grow and mature. By living live, and making mistakes and learning from them.

It is very difficult to learn anything from listening to others mistakes. Most of the time it is important for a young adult to make those mistakes themselves, and learn and grow from them.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

How can you leave your parents when you're 18? [ 1 Answers ]

Well, my 18th birthday has just gone by and I am hoping that I can go and live on my own. But I don't know how to ask my parents! I know it sounds pretty supid but I need advice. I have got a job and money but I still live with my parents and all of my other friends are in flats. It's quite...

When can I take my baby and leave my parents house [ 7 Answers ]

Ok I'm 16 years old and have a 5 month old baby... my parents are trying to control everything I do they won't let me raise my kid they are trying to take over... when can I legally move out so I can raise my baby myself with the help of the daddy??

I'm 18 and my parents won't let me leave my house [ 9 Answers ]

My parents won't let me leave my house I've been 18 for 2 months and I'm ready to leave. Their being unfair about things. I left last night and they got the school involved in it so I might be kicked out of school tomorrow.

Both Parents leave Canada [ 1 Answers ]

My ex wife has moved abroad and I have as well. My chiild will soon be 18 and going to university in his/her home country. Would a new order for support have to be from Canada or the countryhe /she now lives in (the UK) if she requests me to continue to pay while the child lives away at University...

Wwhat to do if you want to leave your parents and join another family withou parents [ 5 Answers ]

What should I do when I want to leave my family and join another at 16-years old?

View more questions Search