Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    deecee2000 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 03:13 PM
    Medical Premium Medical Expenses in Tax for H1b
    Hi,
    I have one question regarding Health insurance Premium. I am on H1B visa holder and working in US. My company has some medical insurance plans but the premium is little higher. Hence, I decided to go with individual insurance from outside. I understand that if our medical expenses are more than 7.5% then only we can exempt this amount to Tax return. My question is does health insurance premium also count in this amount or only medical expenses?
    For example if my annual gross salary is 50K and Medical Premium is 3K for whole year and Medical expenses also 3K for whole year. So if I combine these both thing, it is 6K and it is more then 7.5%. But if I only include medical expenses then 7.5% is 3750 which is more than my medical expenses.

Thanks,
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 26, 2012, 03:25 PM
    If you pay your medical insurance premium THROUGH your employer, it is all but assured that the premium will be paid with PRE-tax money and thus will NOT be deductible on your tax return.

If, however, you pay your OWN medical insurance preimum independent from your place of employment, then the medical insurance premium CAN be included as part of your medical expenses.

However, you will find that the 7.5% of AGI that is the FLOOR for deductibility of medical costs was carefully selected. Even with medicval insurance premiums, it is REAL HARD to spend more than 7.5% of your annual income on medical costs UNLESS you have a catastrophic medical cost for which you have no insurance. That was the tradeoff in 1986 when Congress lowered the income tax rates.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1040NR medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I spent around $8500 in medical expenses last year. I'll be filling a 1040NR form. Can I claim a deduction for this? It is definetively more than 7.5% of my gross income. Thanks

Medical premium - tax exempt [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I used to pay for my medical insurance in the year 2007 and 2008. Can I claim an exempt from the taxes in such a case. I did do that when filing my taxes for 2007. Is there a way I can claim exemptions for both 2007 & '08 when filing for 2008 Thanks Nilay

Medical expenses [ 4 Answers ]

I had a bad car accident and lots of medical bills for the past year. Some of ithe bills were covered by my medical insurance plan but not all. I have a lawsuit in progress against the vehicle that hit me. I want to know : Can O claim any of these medical expenses that I paid on my income...

Tax benefits for hospitalization and medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

I work in US on an L1 visa. My wife is on L2. We are both considered residents from the tax point of view, as we were in US all year in 2007. This year, we had some medical and hospitalization expenses. One was when my wife was hospitalized for a few days during pregnancy, and secondly, she...

Claiming medical expenses [ 1 Answers ]

Hi! I am itemizing my deductions. I have a doubt regarding claiming medical expenses. I paid for Co-pay during the last year which is less than 7.5% of my adjusted gross income. Can I claim these expenses in my taxes. I greatly appreciate your help.

View more questions Search