Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    13ecca Posts: 63, Reputation: 2

Jan 26, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Eyelash Extensions
    Hey everyone.
    I had been researching eyelash extensions for a few weeks and decided to go and get them done last night.
    I went to a beautician and she asked what I knew about them, told me about the process and what to expect and then asked what look I would like to achieve.
    Anyway about 10 minutes into the process my nostril (the same side as the eye she started on) started to burn. The glue didn't smell of anything at all, just every time I breathed in I could just feel this burning sensation flare up. When she switched to my other eye my other nostril did the same. It was very uncomfortable to the point where I started breathing through my mouth, and then my throat started to burn. It felt like someone had shaved a layer of skin off the inside of my throat and nose.
    She finished and told me that my eyes might start stinging a little when I opened them, but it was just the glue and it was normal to experience it and it would last for long. I opened my eyes, and nothing. I was fine, not stinging or anything. I didn't mention the burning sensation.
    Anyway I went home and the first thing I did was grab a drink. It was so painful so swallow though. Now I am naturally a warm person and I am hardly ever cold, but I started shivering with the heating on, the fire, a dressing gown and under a duvet.
    After a few minutes or so I started to feel the burning sensation spread into my chest and it became really tight and I felt like I couldn't breath to the point where I kept the phone next to me in case I had to call an ambulance because I was home alone.
    It didn't get any worse after that but it didn't get any better. But I didn't want to go to hospital so I just took 2 asprins and went to bed.
    Anyway I woke up this morning and I am absolutley fine. Nothing wrong at all back to normal.
    Basically my question is. What on earth happened to me? Was it some kind of alergic reaction? Needless to say that was the first and last time I am having my eyelashes done...
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 02:59 PM
    An allergic reaction to either the "cleaner" or the glue would be my guess.
    beeboobop Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Feb 29, 2012, 09:41 PM
    Its most likely that you did have an allergic reaction to the products used. If your ever decide to get them done again, ask for an allergy test. What the beautician will then do is dab a little of the glue, pre-lash, or post-lash on to your inner wrist or inner elbow area. That test will help you and your beautician decide whether eyelash extensions are for you or if he/she can provide lash products used for sensitive skin.
    And always let the beautician know when it hurts and what symptoms your get from any procedure!
    Hope this helps!
    pinkflamingo Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Nov 9, 2012, 02:40 PM
    I am going through the same thing right now! I had the extensions done for the first time today at 12.30pm and my chest and lungs are still really sore. Prior to the treatment the technician warned me I may feel a burning sensation in my nose and throat from the glue fumes but not to worry as it would pass. Sure enough 5 minutes in the sensation started and did not pass but increased and lasted for the full hour plus session. I was constantly swallowing as my nose was producing lots of fluid and when she stopped I could hardly speak. I made it home with tears streaming down my eyes and actually began retching when I coughed as my throat was so sore. It is now 9.30pm and my nose and throat no longer hurt but my chest feels very wheezy. An awful experience and I am devastated as I love my eyelashes! I am hoping that like you I will feel better tomorrow.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Eyelash problems [ 3 Answers ]

Over the past year the centre part of my top eyelashes have straightened to the point of obstructing my vision. I don't need or wear glasses, I have tried eyelash perming but my lashes were too strong and it didn't work. The doctor and optician have no idea why my once, beautiful, long curling...

Eyelash loss [ 4 Answers ]

My eyelashes used to be very long, thick, and even. I have a nervous habit where when I put on mascara (and I put it on pretty thick), I always end up picking it all off, and the result of this is many of my lashes have been pulled out. It's gotten so bad that the inner part of my eyes are almost...

Eyelash troubles, NEW ONE [ 3 Answers ]

Okk, So here's a picture of my cousin. Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting http://i25.tinypic.com/10y0414.jpg Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting Me & her don't really get along, so I can't ask her this.

Eyelash troubles [ 4 Answers ]

okk, so heres a picture of my cousin. Image - TinyPic - Free Image Hosting, Photo Sharing & Video Hosting me & her dont really get along, so i can't ask her this. Her eyelashes, do you think they are fake? or just really good mascara? i really wanna know, cause thats how i want mine :) xo

Eyelash Growth [ 2 Answers ]

Hi Can anyone tell me if this is true? Using eyelash conditioners you will see an increase in length and that they will really go thicker. I'm always wasting money on fake claims. X

View more questions Search