Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    maslecan Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 26, 2012, 09:27 AM
    Non Compete clause
    Hi I am self employed and I have signed a non compete clause. The salon owner however is making me work hours and being in the salon when I don't want to be thus making me an employee. ( am I right ), at the minute I have a lot going on and unable to be in the salon when I do not have clients and the owner is furious. Will myself employed non compete clause be void if the owner asks me to leave or if I leave. I want to carry on working in my trade but this clause is stopping me
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 09:33 AM
    Hello m:

It doesn't matter if you're an employee or a contractor. The non-compete will kick in... But, it takes a very skilled lawyer to write a non-compete agreement that will be held up in court.. It would seem to me that a salon owner wouldn't have the resources to have a lawyer draw up these agreements for her.

So, without having READ it, it would be my GUESS that it's NOT binding..

excon
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 10:59 AM
    Absolutely agree with excon. What State?

In NY non-competes are basically not being enforced because they force people out of work.

If the salon owner is setting your schedule you are NOT an independent - you ARE her employee.

Jan 26, 2012, 12:04 PM
    The contract was just thrown together by the salon owner, I am in the uk so I don't know if things are done differently here.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 26, 2012, 12:21 PM
    I agree with the others... every place I've been employed has them, and I've gone between employers over the lasty 30 years without any problems...

How can one employer demand you give up an entire career.

About the only way they might have a chance at enforcing it is if you decided to open a competing shop next door to them or across the street. And even then its going to be expensive for them and not have a guarantee of winning. And the only ones I know of that have actually been enforced, involves someone selling an entire business to someone, then going out and starting up a new one doing the same thing (only with a different name) intended to compete directly with the one that was just sold.

Would a Doctor have to give up his career because he left an employer? Would a Solicitor (lawyer) have to do the same if left a firm?

No employer is guaranteeing you a job for life... or would, and yet most non-compete clauses expect you give give up an entire career field. Because every employer in a field actually DOES compete with each other.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 26, 2012, 12:35 PM
    Being in the UK, I am sorry I don't know the laws there, and most of the advice you have been given is more for the US.

Did the agreement have a time frame or a location? Most have things like within so many miles or within a certain time.

Also if you don't take customers with you, that often is one issue.

Jan 26, 2012, 01:00 PM
    The clause says to not work for 3 months within a 3 mile radius. I have also been given a chance to run my own salon about a mile n a half away n I can think of at least 5 other salons in that distance. If the salon owner keeps treating me like I am an employee then I will have to leave and take up the offer of my own salon

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Non-compete clause [ 1 Answers ]

I work for a non medical home health care facility here in South Dakota; I have had 30 years of experience in health care and decided to form my own company. In our local newspaper last Sunday I had a small article which promoted the beginning of my business venture to provide non-medical...

No compete clause [ 4 Answers ]

I recently lost my job. I would say, I was fired. They never really came out and said it. I have been with the company for almost 8 years. I did sign a no compete agreement. I live in a "Right to work state". Will this clause hold up? All I want to do is work and earn a living. The area I came from...

No compete clause [ 5 Answers ]

How do you get out of this so you can work in your field

No compete Clause [ 3 Answers ]

My Husband is in sales for trucking he worked for a company that he had signed a no compete clause, about 10 years ago he has never been compensated for signing this, the original owner died and left the company to his daughter who has never worked a day in her life although she is out fire...

Non-compete clause [ 2 Answers ]

If a salesman signed a non-compete clause in the industrial industry 6 1/2 years ago and the contract terms have changed without signing a new non-compete clause is it enforceable? He is not privy to "trade secrets".

View more questions Search