Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    UsaveU Posts: 25, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 03:47 PM
    Breaker Panel Replacement
    Will I have any problems with a building inspector if I pull a permit to replace the pushmatic breaker panel but leave all the clothe wrapped wire (Assuming the cloth wrapped wire was to code when it was installed)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 03:58 PM
    Yep, you will run into a brick wall. The inspector will require you to bring wiring up to current code. Stuff is grandftherd if only minor changes or improvements are made, replacing the panel is not minor.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 25, 2012, 03:46 AM
    I doubt the inspector will require a home to be re-wired just because a service was upgraded.

I have done many, and never had to upgrade the wiring.

Ask the inspector before doing any work.
    stanfortyman Posts: 5,598, Reputation: 279
    Electrical & Lighting Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 05:00 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by ballengerb1 View Post
    Yep, you will run into a brick wall. The inspector will require you to bring wiring up to current code. Stuff is grandftherd if only minor changes or improvements are made, replacing the panel is not minor.
    Sorry, I have to completely disagree here.

I have done probably well over 200 service changes in my career and not once id I have to upgrade the wiring in the house because of it.
    The branch circuits are not being modified or changed because of a panel change.
    Same thing goes for arc-faults. You do not have to install arc-fault breakers when doing a service upgrade or panel change in an older house.

And I have to also say, replacing a panel is pretty minor in the scope of things.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 09:31 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by tkrussell View Post
    I doubt the inspector will require a home to be re-wired just because a service was upgraded.

I have done many, and never had to upgrade the wiring.

Ask the inspector before doing any work.
    My answer is slanted by usaveu many posts yesterday. He is flipping houses with major remodeling.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Replacement cost of FPE circuit breaker panel [ 1 Answers ]

35 yr old house, 3200 sq ft. Just looking for typical cost in Dallas area. Are these panels unsafe as I have been told? Thanks

Bathroom GFI outlet trips breaker at breaker panel [ 2 Answers ]

Hello all. Our house is approximately 13 years old. Each morning when both the iron and blow dryer is plugged into two separate GFI outlets in the master bathroom, the circuit will trip the 15 amp breaker in the breaker panel. Is it possible to upgrade the breaker to a 20 amp without...

Breaker size in main panel to support sub panel? [ 7 Answers ]

Hello, I am wiring a sub-panel to the outside of my home (50 feet from main 200 amp box). I ran 3 wire - 6 gauge. What is the largest 2 pole breaker I can put in the main panel to supply the sub-panel. TYPE NM-B 6-3 WITH GROUND 600 VOLTS CIRTEX-I EZ-STRIP (R) PLUS 17:11 2/5/07 SB/RC ...

View more questions Search