Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Capstickm Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 03:03 PM
    401K loan for investment
    Is it OK to borrow from my 401k to give to an investor who will supposedly set me up with a high rate of return, and then pay back my 401K? What will I need to look for before doing so?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
    Depends on the specific rules for borrowing from your 401(k) per your employer's plan. Be aware that most plans require you to pay the loan back in 5 years or less, and if for some reason you can't pay it back the loan is connsidered a distribution, which means you will suddenly owe income tax on it plus the 10% early withdrawal penalty. Also the money you pay the loan back with is after-tax dollars, as opposed to pre-tax which the original contributions were made with, and when you retire and pull that money out you will have to pay taxes on it again. So work that into your payback analysis and see if the scheme makes sense. In gneral I would say that if this investment idea is so good, come up with cash from other savings rather than your 401(k).
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 03:18 PM
    Good common sense, Your 401K first is an investment.

So just how much profit are they telling you they will pay.
    Sorry it sounds more like someone is trying to scam you with one of those 12 to 20 percent profit

A good 401K should still be making that 5 to 6 percent ( some even more, I made about 12 percent profit with mine last year)

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

401K Loan vs. Home Equity Loan [ 3 Answers ]

I need $50,000 for a kitchen remodel. I can get a 401K loan 5 yr term 9.25 interest - total payments add up to 62,000 or so with a monthly payment of roughly $1,050. That payment is is tough on my current budget so I was considering a Home Equity Loan with a longer term. I know there are a...

401k loan and pulling momey out of a 401k to pay the loan off [ 2 Answers ]

I have just turned 591/2 and have a 5,000 dollar loan from my 401k... can I withdraw monies to pay this loan off... and how much will I be taxed if I do? Mickey Huddleston

401k vs Prop. Investment [ 3 Answers ]

I have approx. 80K in 401 at this time would it be wise to cash out and buy investment prop.? I feel that investment prop. For the long term is a better option (10-15yrs). I know that I would take a hit for pulling out or is there a way that I could do it??

Cashing in 401k for other investment [ 1 Answers ]

I'm 34 and am considering cashing in my 401K from a previous employer. My wife and I are self employed and in addition to considering putting this money into growing our business we have also been presented with an opportunity to invest in a local business that has plans to expand in the next...

View more questions Search