Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ezscanbe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 10:40 AM
    1993 toyota camry starting problems?
    I have a 93 camry. Runs great except when I drive it uphill and then park it. Sometimes it starts right up and other times I have to crank it for 6 or 7 revolutions and then it starts and sputters for a few seconds or until I press on the gas peddle. I have changed the fuel filter but to no avail. Any ideas?
    CaptainRich Posts: 4,492, Reputation: 537
    Cars & Trucks Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 01:16 PM
    That could be caused by many different things and will likely require hands-on diagnosis from a competent tech.
    Does it make a difference how much fuel is in the tank? How worn are the plugs themselves?
    ezscanbe Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Plugs are new and I replaced them hoping that would fix the problem. Doesn't matter how much gas is in the tank.
    TxGreaseMonkey Posts: 16,761, Reputation: 5597
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
    Check/replace the Engine Coolant Temperature (ECT) Sensor, which affects fuel injector pulse width. The ECT Sensor is a temperature dependent resistor (thermistor), whose resistance decreases as the engine coolant temperature increases. It provides a richer mixture when cold, leaner mixture when hot. They become corroded, due to not changing the coolant frequently enough and/or not using distilled water.

If you have the 6-cylinder engine, you may need to also focus on the MAF Sensor. They are classic for causing engines to stumble at start-up. Sometimes, you can get away with cleaning them with MAF Sensor Cleaner. Ensure all MAF Sensor seals are in good shape with no leaks; afterwards, snug things up.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

1993 Toyota Camry, No Power [ 1 Answers ]

I drove my Camry to the gas station this afternoon. Car started right up as usual, no problems. A few hours later I put the key in the ignition, no power. I attempt to jump it.. still zero power. I have my neighbor who is a car mechanic come over and test to ensure power from the battery, and...

1993 Toyota Camry not starting [ 4 Answers ]

My 93 Toyota Camry stopped running when I was driving last week. It appeared we had run out of gas but we put gas in it and would still not start. We have also replaced the spark plugs, a piece inside the distributor I believe and the ignition coil and the car still will not start. It seems like...

1993 toyota camry won't start [ 6 Answers ]

I just bought a 1993 camry le 4 cyc- I degreased the engine cause it was dirty and ever since then it won't start. I know the spark plugs had gotten wet , so I took a compresser blew all of them out then removed all the plugs and let it all dry out for two days even blew it out before I replaced...

My 1993 toyota camry won't start? [ 3 Answers ]

My camry will not engage the starter? I coulnt find a starter relay, or maybe I just don't know what relay controls it. The car will start if I turn the key on an touch the small lead on the starter with a 12+ jumper. The battery cranks the car over just fine which makes me think it's a relay, but...

1993 V6 Toyota Camry won't start [ 1 Answers ]

I just bought this car not running. It turns over fine, has fuel pressure if I jump B and FP at the diagnostic plug, has spark, has correct timing of cams and distributor, has voltage to the injectors, but I think it isn't getting the signal (pulsed ground) from the computer to tell the injectors...

View more questions Search