Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    gianni_me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 10:24 AM
    Income earned abroad: Double taxation?
    Hello,
    I recently moved to US and for 2011 I am Resident Alien for tax purpose. In 2011, while I was living in the USA, my former employer (an Italian University) credited on my Italian bank account some back payment. For this income I did paid tax in Italy. My understanding is that I do need to report the mentioned income in my 2011 tax return and pay tax (double taxation?) on it. Does anybody know if that is the case or if there is a way to avoid double taxation?
    Thanks a lot,
    Gianni
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 12:49 PM
    Gianni:

First, you may or may NOT be a resident alien for tax purposes. You ARE a resident alien if you are married and filing jointly with your wife. If, however, you are single and did not spend EVERY SINGLE DAY in the United States in 2011, then you are dual-status, even though you met the 183-day Substantial Presence Test.

If you file as a resident, then you file Form 1116 to claim the Foreign Tax Credit for the Italian taxes you paid.

If you file dual-status, you may NOT have to report that Italian income. It depends on WHEN you got the money, during the resident portion of the dual-status period or during the non-resident portion.

Complicated? Yes, it is, which is why, if you are filing a dual-status return, you MUST get professional help. The dual-status return is NOT for amateurs!!! Further, if you get professional help, make sure they have experience filing dual-status returns.

If you my professional help, double-click on my title above and scroll down to my profile/signature. You will find my email address there.
    IntlTax Posts: 831, Reputation: 23
    Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 06:56 PM
    You avoid double taxation by claiming the Italian taxes as a credit against your U.S. tax. See Form 1116.
    gianni_me Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 25, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Thanks a lot for the prompt email and the information. Indeed the all tax related process is quit complex. Using the FORM 1116 seems to be the right way to go. I will do my homework about it, but I will likely follow AtlantaTaxExpert suggestion and seek professional help.
    Thanks again to both of you.
    Gianni
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 25, 2012, 09:49 AM
    Glad to help!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Income Tax in India for Money earned in US as J1 scholars working abroad? [ 5 Answers ]

I am a Visiting Research Professor on J1 visa. I will be in US for less than six months and will be returning back to India after that. I am exempt from US federal Tax as per Indo-US treaty, but after going back to India do I have to pay income tax on the money earned in US?

Is Income earned abroad taxable in the US? [ 0 Answers ]

I am an American citizen.I was employed by a private school in S Korea, teaching ESL for the last 2 months in 2009 and the first 11 months in 2010. The school provided a room for me during this time. I've been here in the US since Dec 1, 2010 but leave to work another year long contract in S Korea...

Double taxation(india & US), calc of taxable income [ 3 Answers ]

Hi I have moved to India in Dec'08 from US , however I have exceeded no. of days in India , and I am considered resident in india for tax purpose. As a result I have to go through double taxation. I have some questions - 1. When I was in US , I received bonus in US on Sep'08. However that...

What portion, if any, of income earned abroad is taxable? [ 1 Answers ]

If you gain employment with a foreign company in a foreign country, what are the tax laws when you return to the U.S. For instance, Dubai is a tax-free country. Would you have to pay taxes on your income when you returned to the U.S. Is there a time frame that if you go beyond that then your...

Taxed for income earned in Abroad [ 1 Answers ]

Hi , My question is why should we pay tax for the income earned abroad in India. I am working for an India based company and got deputed to Cannada on work for 7 months, I am been paid in canadian dollars and I paid tax here, now when I went back to india my company is asking me to pay tax for...

View more questions Search