Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tokyookusan Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 24, 2012, 01:04 AM
    International wire / money gift to family
    I'm a US citizen living in Tokyo. I would like to know if can wire money from to my family members as gift without being taxed? What is the maximum allowed amount and how many times can I do so per year? Do I need to declare these gifts when I file my US tax?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 02:45 AM
    In a year you can give a gift of up to $13,000 to an individual. You can give $13,000 each to any number of people. If you give more than $13,000 to any one person, you need to file Gift tax return.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Am I subject to gift tax for sending money to family relatives that live overseas [ 1 Answers ]

How much money can my wife, who is a permanent resident alien, and I, a U.S. citizen, send to my wife's sister who is a Chinese citizen without being subjected to the gift tax?

International Student in the US pay tax for $15,000 gift from abroad? [ 2 Answers ]

I'm an international student. Working as a research assistant. Late 2008 my parents sent almost $15,000 as a help-gift or whatever to me so that I can settle down in the US. After I found out that heyyyy now here it comes! Tax season! I got so nervous if I have to pay its tax? What forms? Please...

Family gift giving [ 3 Answers ]

My lovely sister-in-law suggested giving a money tree to my parents as a gift for their 50th wedding anniversary. This would be a gift given by three siblings and the grandchildren. What is a proper amount to give for such an occasion. p.s. only one sibling is helping financially pay for the...

Money gift [ 2 Answers ]

If I received $3000 for a gift do I pay taxes?

Gift of money [ 2 Answers ]

I recently received a gift from a family member in the amount of $20,000.00. It wasn't technically an inheritance, because the money from the sale of the house of the deceased went ot her and she wrote a check to us. So it was a gift. What should I know before depositing it into my account? Since...

View more questions Search