Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 14, 2007, 06:31 PM
    What is the one thing you fear in a relationship?
    What is the one thing you "fear" in a relationship? For me it is abandonment.

Any thoughts?
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 06:34 PM
    The one big fear is that my partner would be unfaithful and then lie about it.
    daisydew Posts: 75, Reputation: 14

Feb 14, 2007, 06:45 PM
    Yeah, I'm definitely thinking twice about trusting anyone EVER again. So my biggest fear is someone lying to me.
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

Feb 14, 2007, 07:07 PM
    A guy that is uncertain/indecisive of his feelings.

Edit:

Actually I change my mind. When timing isn't right! That's my greatest fear of all! Actually I don't know <_<. Never mind

But I know there's something I fear
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:12 PM
    If I'm in a relationship id like to think I had no fears because I had complete trust in my partner. In my last relationship I feared nothing because I had complete trust in her. Maybe now having gone through a break up I might have a different outlook. I sincerely hope not though!

So I suppose that makes having that trust breached my fear??
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 07:31 PM
    You know that's a great question. I think it changes as you get older.

When I was younger I used to fear the commitment all together.

Then if I was committed I feared if she was the right one for me.

I always fear being lied to but I also fear hearing the truth sometimes. That being said I'd rather hear the truth even if I don't want to to than to be lied too.

I used to fear that I wasn't good enough. Now I don't really care and accept for some women that I'm not and for some women I'm too good.

I think maybe now, not having a girlfriend or interest for sometime I might fear the loss of freedom. But 20 years from now I doubt that fear will mean much.

So I guess the thing is that fear in relationships changes with time for me.

I think Skell's got it best, have no fear because even if the relationship ends you put it all on the line and didn't rob yourself of the great times because of any fear. Living in fear robs you of living.
    LBP Posts: 206, Reputation: 42

Feb 14, 2007, 07:51 PM
    If I fear anything, it's not being given a chance or being taken for granted...
    kaitou Posts: 190, Reputation: 43

Feb 14, 2007, 07:52 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by chuff
    When I was younger I used to fear the commitment all together.
    Just out of curiosity, why were you scared of commitment?
    chuff Posts: 3,397, Reputation: 1235
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 08:36 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by kaitou
    Just out of curiosity, why were you scared of commitment?
    Hmmm I guess because I'm an independent thinker and I like to do things my way when I want to and getting involved with someone did not always allow for that.
    Teaching Posts: 198, Reputation: 28

Feb 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Reading all the posts makes me think about "when we fear we are creating or foreseeing something wrong to happen"
    shygrneyzs Posts: 5,017, Reputation: 936
    Uber Member

Feb 15, 2007, 05:05 AM
    Do you mean that someone would almost predestine the failure of a relationship because of their particular fear about a relationship? So, that if a relationship fails, the person can say, "I lnew something like this would happen"? I can see that as logical. Sometimes we do that unconsciously (and consciously) building some sort of relationship guard so that it acts as an insulator or bufffer. For myself, I am more wary of the signals that something is not going well.
    confused and worried Posts: 7, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 05:16 AM
    My biggest fear is him not needing me like I think I need him. In other words him loving someone else but staying with me because he can't have the other one.
    valinors_sorrow Posts: 2,927, Reputation: 653
    I regard all beings mostly by their consciousness and little else

Feb 15, 2007, 06:06 AM
    First I feared being unacceptable and so I took on anyone who expressed any interest, not realising what a mistake that was since it opened the door to all of this:

I feared being lied to, and so I was lied to and learned to survive that.
    I feared being cheated on, and so I was cheated on and learned to survive that one too.
    I feared being a target of his violence, and so became that and found its imperative to survive that.
    Then I feared that I would never be taken seriously again, and after all I had already been through (and some professional help) learned to spot the dishonest, cheating, violent, indifferent people to avoid them all.

Now I fear nothing and oddly enough that's when I found Mr. Right and we've been together ever since. (This is not to say we don't have our private challenges however but none that could cause the kind of anxiety that I'm speaking of here.)

I'm with Teaching on this one. (Good question too!)
    I sometimes think in some strange cosmic way that I get what I fear so that I may have the opportunity to learn to not fear it.
    Skell Posts: 1,863, Reputation: 514
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 02:42 PM
    I think now I fear being left alone and scared again as well! When my ex left me I have never been so scared and felt so alone in my life. It was horrible!
    Nosnosna Posts: 434, Reputation: 103

Feb 15, 2007, 02:46 PM
    My only real fear about a relationship is ending up with a whoops that I'll spend the next 19 years or so dealing with :)

I've managed to get past my issues... got rid of the bitterness a few years back, and have been in the contented zone ever since. I suppose that being this laid back probably has its downsides, but I haven't found any of them yet.
    camryn101 Posts: 9, Reputation: 1

Feb 15, 2007, 06:49 PM
    Hmm, I'm not quite sure what I fear. Maybe insecurity. I don't think I'd want a guy to always be asking 'are you okay?' 'are you sure?' . Like, if I say I'm fine the first time... Please don't ask again.
    Also, someone acting on a spur-of-the-moment feeling, then regretting. Those suck, too! If you don't know what I'm talking about, I mean a guy having a negative feeling towards you and acting on it instead of waiting it out. And if you still don't understand what I mean... Then sorry, I can't explain that any better.
    That may sound strange to some of you, but that's what I think, anyway. :)
    yoyolb Posts: 26, Reputation: 5

Feb 15, 2007, 07:02 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Teaching
    What is the one thing you "fear" in a relationship? For me it is abandonment.

Any thoughts?
    Being lied to or being unclearaabout feelings and intentions

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Fear Of Death Also [ 12 Answers ]

I Have A Fear Of Death. I Have Had It For Many Years It Makes Me Not Want To Go To The Doctor Because I Feel Something Might Be Wrong And He Will Find Some Disease Or Something. I Know This Might Sound Funny But It Has Been Going On For Many Years And I Am Constantly Trying To Free Myself Of...

Fear? [ 4 Answers ]

This may sound strange, but if I walk into a room with a ceiling fan that I going, I just freeze up, my heart starts pounding, and I have to literally force myself out of the room. If I am in the room, and the fan is not on, I'm fine, but as soon as someone turns it on, I practically run out of...

Fear [ 16 Answers ]

1. What is fear? 2. What causes fear? 3. What are some physical signs of fear? 4. How do you get over fear? This can be just general scientific answers or personal answers. I need someone else's points of view. :confused:

Fear of airplanes [ 6 Answers ]

Hi, The company I work for has decided they need to send me overseas for business but I'm really not comfortable as I am deathly afraid of planes. I've only been on a plane once and it didn't go too well. I've talked directly to my boss about this and he recons it's just an opportunity to...

My worst fear... [ 5 Answers ]

I haven't written in a while, simply because I have felt horrible... I thought I was pregnant months ago, but ended up it was just a scare once again... well my worst fear has happened and I have just found out that I have PCOS (Polycystic ovarian syndrome) so that means I am going to have a hard...

View more questions Search