Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    haleybay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 08:46 AM
    I live in Sc but work in Ga, I had a company file for judgement in SC
    They won their judgement,they filed for garshiments but was turn down because SC doesn't do garshiments. Then they went to the county I work in Ga to file for garshiments they were turned down again. Now they have filed for a judgement using my work address and won, so I received a letter to my employer to start taking out of my check. IS this legal, can they do that? What can I do to stop I have 45 days
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 09:32 AM
    So did you appear in court when they sued you in GA? When you bought up jurisdiction in court, what was said.
    haleybay Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 23, 2012, 10:15 AM
    There was no court date, the judge just signed and then a letter was sent to my work and home telling the payroll to start deducting from my check. How do I fight this?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 11:00 AM
    You said they filed in GA and "won"

To get a judgement in GA, they had to have had a court hearing, they can not just file and have the judge sign, unless you were notified and there was a hearing.
    nocredit Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jun 15, 2012, 10:53 AM
    Oh yes they can! We were served with papers from a credit card company that they had filed suit in Superior Court here in Georgia. We answered. They asked the judge for judgement - no hearing, no court - and the judge gave it to them based on the fact that we did not deny the debt.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I live and work in Georgia but the company I work for is in Florida what about file s [ 2 Answers ]

I live and work in Georgia but the company I work for and get paid by is in Florida how do I file for state tax

Live in NJ, work for a NJ company in NYC [ 1 Answers ]

We are a New Jersey based staffing company. Our consultant/ employee who lives in New Jersey, is on a temporary assignement for our client in New York City. Is it required for him to pay New York City taxes?

How to file taxes if work in pa and live in nj [ 2 Answers ]

I work in pa live in nj. My company took out pa state and city tax not nj tax. Do I file nj or pa tax? How do this procedure work for for filing state tax when you work out of state.

Judgement file and company out of business [ 1 Answers ]

OK I am in need of some serious advice. I am trying to buy a house and I have a judgement filed against me. When I called the company to pay the judgement off, the company is out of business. I called the county and they said there is nothing they can do, the only people that can release it is...

Live in NH, work for MA company, if relocated to work from home, what about taxes? [ 3 Answers ]

Here is the situation: I currently live in NH and work for a MA company. So far I have been filing as non-resident MA tax. I have a possibility to relocate to my home in NH instead of the office in MA. Here are my questions: 1. Will MA taxes still be deducted from my pay? 2. Should I...

View more questions Search