volley512 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 04:57 PM
    Instantaneous Velocity
    What would the instantaneous velocity be on this graph at
    t = 4.5s and t = 7.5 s
    Attached Images

Aurora2000 Posts: 111, Reputation: 16

Jan 23, 2012, 03:49 AM
    This graph represents the position x as function of time t. The instantaneous velocity is given by the derivative dx/dt, which corresponds to the tangent direction in the graph.

From the graph you have a flat line between t=4s and t=5s, thus at t=4.5s the instantaneous velocity is 0. For t=7.5s I will assume that at t=7s you have x=-5m, while at t=8s you have x=0. From t=7s to t=8s you have a straight segment. Thus the instantaneous at t=7.5s is 5m/s.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 23, 2012, 07:00 AM
    [QUOTE=Aurora2000;3008427] The instantaneous velocity is given by the derivative dx/dt, which corresponds to the tangent direction in the graph.[QUOTE]

A simpler explanation, as a would guess that the OP hasn't studied derivatives yet: velocity is the change in position per unit time, which means it's equal to the slope of the position-versus-time graph.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Instantaneous velocity in position time graph [ 1 Answers ]

Time t(s) Position d(m of Start) 0 1.3 5.2 11.7 ...

Find the instantaneous velocity of a point in the graph. [ 1 Answers ]

http://i927.photobucket.com/albums/ad115/dportal2006/scan0001.jpg This link has the exact graph that relates to my question. I have tried answering the question however, the formula that is provided in my book for instantaneous velocity is change of V/change of t as the limit of t approaches...

What conditions could support instantaneous gas absorption [ 1 Answers ]

What conditions of gas-liquid absorption reaction are capable of supporting An instantaneous or just fast rate of solution at high pressure and what are the Examples of reactants that facilitate such solvation process.

Instantaneous rate of change [ 3 Answers ]

total amount of money in circulation for years 1950-2004 - M(t) = 3.044t^3 + 14,274.5t-139,433 where t represents number of years since 1950 and M9t) is millions of dollars 1- How much money was in circulation in the year 1985 2- What was the instantaneous rate of change of the amount of money...

Finding the instantaneous speed [ 1 Answers ]

in a dotted line graph, the x axis is time in seconds, and the y axis is distance in meters. The slope of the line is 3/2, how do I find the instantaneous speed?

View more questions Search