Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Robbie90 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 11:28 AM
    Honeywell S8610U ignition module lasted a week what could be the problem
    I changed out my johnson control model# G770 LGC-1 with a honeywell S8610U it lasted a week, the trouble code is damper error, my heater does not have a damper. Did I do something wrong on the installation, the unit did work for a week.
    Thanks
    SeattlePioneer Posts: 97, Reputation: 9

Jan 22, 2012, 12:29 PM
    I suppose you do not have and have never had anything plugged into the P1 vent damper connector, is that right?

If so, the ignition module is defective and you should get it replaced under guarantee from wherever you bought it.
    T-Top Posts: 1,871, Reputation: 100
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 04:48 PM
    Make sure you have 24v going to the TH-W and not the 24v terminal. Check to make sure the vent damper plug is in place on the S8610u control.

Jan 22, 2012, 05:59 PM
    Hello T top,

According to Robbie he soesn't have a vent damper on his furnace so there is no vent damper plug to insert into the ignition module. If a vent damper is used at any time, the igntion control circuits adapts to that and it must always be used.

So I think I'm correct that no plug should be used in this case.

My interpretation and supposition based on the posts so far are that no vent damper plug was used, so none is needed. The furnace was operating properly for a week before it quit working with the ignition control diagnostic light indicating a vent damper fault.

Since there is no legitimate vent damper fault, my conclusion is that the ingition control module is defective and shoul be replaced under the guarantee.

But perhaps I'm missing something. Can you point out any errors in my reasoning above?

Jan 22, 2012, 06:06 PM
    Honeywell S8610U ignition module lasted a week what could be the problem
    Nothing was plugged in P1 vent damper connector. Another answer to the question was this [Make sure you have 24v going to the TH-W and not the 24v terminal. Check to make sure the vent damper plug is in place on the S8610u control.] Is he talking about the same P1 vent damper connector? Should there be a connector on the P1 vent damper to complete a open circuit
    Thanks to both who are trying to help me
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 06:39 PM
    You should have a white plug with a jumper wire. Its located between post #7 Th-w and post #8 Senser
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 06:50 PM
    Check out page 13
    http://www.pexuniverse.com/docs/pdf/honeywell-universal-intermittent-pilot-module-s8610u-manual.pdf

Jan 22, 2012, 06:54 PM
    My Honeywell S8610U did not come with that jumper plug, I know what you mean I see pictures of the module with a plug installed. What I don't understand is why the module worked for a week without the jumper then quit. If it needed the jumper wire wouldn't it have needed it from the start?
    Thanks

Jan 22, 2012, 07:31 PM
    I checked page 13 I see what you mean, mine did not come with the jumper wire. I don't understand why it worked without the jumper wire if it needed one in the first place. I looked in my instruction sheet that came with my module same page its says the same thing line for line until you get to number 5 is says leave vent damper plug [p1] unconnected
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 07:35 PM
    I can't answer why it worked. But as far as installation instructions, I can see what it takes to make it work. The s8610u has different models--- s8610u1003 & s8610u3009. Moore or less the same control but different installation.

Jan 22, 2012, 07:45 PM
    Hello T-top,

The vent damper plug is the P1 plug as described here:

P1 6-pin
    Keyed plug
    Connector for Vent Damper connection
    (used to control a connected damper in
    Atmospheric appliances)

I'm not aware of any white plug provided by Honeywell with the ignition module that would be connected to the "sense" prong.

The issue presented is that the module is providing a diagnostic code for a vent damper problem when no vent damper was ever installed. That sounds like a bad ignition module to me, especially after it worked OK for a week.

I'd get it replaced under the product guarantee.

Please feel free to critique this conclusion though.

Jan 22, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Mine is a s8610u3009 My feeling is I need to change out the module again unless you can think of something else I can do? I will be checking out the heater again in the morning. If you have any more suggestions let me know.
    Thanks for all your help

Jan 22, 2012, 08:09 PM
    You guys have been very helpful. Thank you for sharing your knowledge.

Jan 22, 2012, 08:11 PM
    Hello T-Top,

Apparently there is more than one S8610 U control and module and manual.

I reveiewed the page 13 you referenced and it does indeed show a white vent damper plug installed.

However, Robbie and I have apparently been referencing a different version of the same model number with a different manual that describes the following:

LEAVE VENT DAMPER PLUG (P1) UNCONNECTED.
    FOR SINGLE ROD APPLICATIONS: CONNECT JUMPER WIRE TO THE REMOTE SENSE
    CONNECTOR.

Heh, heh! Fun, eh?

On this version the plug is not supplied and is not supposed to be connected. There is a sense wire normally connected to the SENSE connector on the end of the module, but that has nothing to do with the vent damper plug.

Apparently we are now repairing furnaces in the Twilight Zone!

I continue to suggest that the problem is a defective module that should not be signaling a vent damper problem.

Jan 22, 2012, 08:17 PM
    Apparently there is more than one S8610 U control and module and manual.

I reveiewed the page 13 you referenced and it does indeed show a white vent damper plug installed.

However, Robbie and I have apparently been referencing a different version of the same model number with a different manual that describes the following:

LEAVE VENT DAMPER PLUG (P1) UNCONNECTED.
    FOR SINGLE ROD APPLICATIONS: CONNECT JUMPER WIRE TO THE REMOTE SENSE
    CONNECTOR.

Unfortunately, my copy of the manual resides on my hard drive and I don't know how to upload this for T-Top to review ---- I don't know that I would have believed him if I hadn't seen it myself.

Heh, heh! Fun, eh?

On this version the plug is not supplied and is not supposed to be connected. There is a sense wire normally connected to the SENSE connector on the end of the module, but that has nothing to do with the vent damper plug.

Apparently we are now repairing furnaces in the Twilight Zone!

I continue to suggest that the problem is a defective module that should not be signaling a vent damper problem.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 08:24 PM
    I'm not trying to compete. Just trying to help a person in need. Gentleman have a great evening, good luck and God bless. I'm out.
    IT TECH KC Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Mar 10, 2015, 06:56 AM
    I have the same problem.
    This is my second module to throw me this error and refuse to work.
    I have no damper, read the book through several times.
    It worked for a month with the first module then gave me this "damper error"
    I got a new module under warranty and it lasted 2 months and gave me this error again.
    I am being told it's a furnace problem and I have been through it and there are no problems with it.
    They said they would warranty it 1 more time and that's it. This was Graingers.
    I called Honeywell and they would not even talk to me. I am an instrument tech and deal with this work every day.
    At 175 each module, its going to be cheeper for me to buy a new furnace and that's sad due to defects.
    If I get any answers, I will post them.
    Gerry

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Check out some similar questions!

Honeywell S8610U, code 5, damper error [ 14 Answers ]

There is no damper. This is the third unit with the same problem. The first unit lasted 2 years. The second one lasted 5 days. This last one lasted 3 months. I've had a HVAC Technician look at it each time; he concludes that the unit is bad. Bad manufacture ? Any ideas on anything to look...

Wiring changes: Johnson Controls G600AX-1 With Honeywell S8610U Gas Ignition Control [ 7 Answers ]

This is my very first post so... Hello everyone. and here is my question: I am replacing a Johnson Controls Pilot Gas Ignition control unit with a Honeywell 8610U and I am a little confused on how to connect all the wires. The wiring on the Johnson Controls unit is as follows: Main Valve...

No power to ignition module or PCM ignition fuse, any thoughts [ 1 Answers ]

It's a 2001, Pontiac, Grand am, v-6 3.4. with the key in the on position there is no power to the ign mod, f/p inj, and pcm ing. so naturally its no start. I'm not sure of the circuit , the wire diagram is a little help, any suggestions? Frustrated

S8610U Universal intermittent pilot gas ignition control. [ 2 Answers ]

I wire the module up correctly and have 24V to module but no spark or led fault lights. The exhaust fan starts up and ignition sequence starts but no spark. Suggestions or exsperience with this module. Thks Mike

Traying to replace a G775 with S8610U IGNITION control [ 1 Answers ]

Having hard time wiring the replacment control Gas valve won't open flashing light indicat low secondary voltage . Every thing is done as per instruction

View more questions Search