Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    solidzane Posts: 111, Reputation: 8

Jan 22, 2012, 09:52 AM
    Is there anything legal that I can do to get some sort of compensation?
    Hi, a little background first... I work at Walmart as a cashier overnights. Overnight cashiers get moved around all the time. In general they have me collect shopping carts, do some cashiering, and check receipts at the door...

Last Monday, January 16, 2012, I was working at the door. I had suspicions about a "customer" and so I focused my attention on making sure to ask for a receipt. (This was a known thief to the store, but it was never something we could actually prove and accuse him of.)

I hadn't noticed that he entered with a girl friend as well... So, they both approach the exit from a non sale area. They are in the process of passing the last Point of Sale when I request a receipt and (as I was trained to do) place my hand on the shopping cart which had a desktop computer set inside. The girl asked me to remove my hand, I said "Sure, I just need to see your receipt really quick." Without warning the guy punched me in the neck/lower jaw. Then they both went running as I was stunned...

A second or 2 later I follow and get our outside security's attention. I memorize the plate number of the car they get into and then get management's attention. They come running, though it was already too late. They give me an Ice pack and go back to work... My supervisor told me that the store would be calling the police...

This whole event happened at 6:00 AM. I was scheduled off at 7 but filed a Wal-mart incident report and clocked out at about 7:30. Only then did I find out that the store had yet to call the police. So I spend another hour (off the clock) looking for the next shift's security person to get the license plate number again. Then I call and make my own report...

So it took 2 and a half hours to get any sort of police involvement... I know what steps I can take against the thief/attacker. A misdemeanor is all he committed when he struck me according to a deputy... But my question is about Walmart... Did store management screw up enough to get some sort of compensation or legal ramifications for their lack of action?

Some more details; The people greeters do not have any walkie talkies to alert management before a theft, we have to literally yell out a manager/supervisor's name.
    When the attack happened I had already had to turn around... (The thief had walked around me, as had the girl with the cart. They were between me and the door, I was not in the way anymore.
    This is in California...
    This is not about the thief, but Wal-Mart...
    I am okay. I barely even bruised. It was more of a scare and adrenaline pumping shock...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2012, 10:06 AM
    Wal-Mart owes you compensation for any medical costs you may have incurred, but it appears there was none. They also owe you for any extra time you spent in dealing with this. But you would have had to be clocked in. Any time you spent after clocking out you volunteered.

You and Wal-Mart can and should have the thief charged with assault. What's not clear is whether they got away with the computer. I don't see any reason for the store to have rushed a report. Nor for you to wait around and pursue it. You had the license plate, so the police could follow up when ready.

Jan 22, 2012, 10:22 AM
    That is exactly what I wanted to know... I guess I forgot to mention that, yes they got the computer... But why shouldn't they rush though call? I only got assaulted! Either way, you answered what I needed. Turns out the plates were from a different car, probably stolen as well... Haven't caught the guy either...
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2012, 10:32 AM
    Wal-Mart security probably figured that if the car was theirs, then they had an ID and there was no rush. If the car wasn't theirs, then they would probably ditch the car quickly so again, no hurry.

Was there an appointment made for you to look at mug books? Were there surveillance tapes that showed the incident? Have they been turned over to the police?
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 11:45 AM
    You can of course get paid for the time you were "working" after you clocked out, it should be easy to merely report the time to HR and be paid for it.

If you were injured and had medical bills or believe it is a injury that needs to be reported, you would best report it as a workers comp injury. It is your duty to report the injury if you feel it was serious enough. Minor injuries happen every day and are not reported.

Jan 22, 2012, 04:28 PM
    It was actually not up to store security. The security guy does what management tells him to do... management decided not to call.

Yes there were cameras that caught the entire incident... police got a copy... the deputy that got my case showed me a total of 13 mug shots... 7 of possible matches for the guy, 6 female shots... no use...

I guess that I'm mostly mad because management is ridiculous... whenever we have a theft and get vehicle description and plates we call th epolice right away. But somehow an assault and a theft with decription and plates calls for waiting 2 and a half hours... Anyway... thanks for the help guys. You can close this thead. :)
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 04:44 PM
    If you were assaulted then you could have called on your own and filed a complaint. The store can only press charges for theft and only you can press for assault.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 04:54 PM
    I worked at one place, we had two people come in, one with a baseball bat, another with a chain and they started destroying things, Our company owner did not want the police called or charges pressed because he did not want negative press in the news paper.

Companies do strange things.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What are the legal rights of an adopted donor child, once he/she reaches legal age? [ 4 Answers ]

Does the child have a right to know the donor-father? If the adopted family (legal family) underwent a divorce, what child-support rights do the child have pertaining to the legal father? Especially once legal age (21) is reached? Can the child/teen take his biological father's last name?

Unemployment compensation and Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation payments [ 1 Answers ]

I'm currently receiving unemployment compensation from the State, my previous employer will begin sending my annual Top Hat nonqualified deferred compensation checks in a few months. They cannot delay this, I've asked. The annual Top Hat check will be equivalent to about 1 years worth of...

Nys parole PO denies any contact w/ legal wife - criminal hist. Is this legal [ 1 Answers ]

Parole denies any contact, phone, letters, visits, etc. w/ my legal wife because she is a convicted felon and one rule while on parole is to have no contact w/ known felons

Some sort of legal violation [ 1 Answers ]

I am in an Emt class and I have a disease that I don't want anyone to know about.. I have checked all the legalaties concening this disease with my state and it is okay that I do tthis as the rate of transmission is low.I will not say what I have. but legally it is okay for me to be an emt.The...

Sort a Column & sum the range with same value during the sort [ 2 Answers ]

Hi, I'm trying to sort a data table by Grades & then sum the totals of the cell with same Grade. The table consists of this headers: Date, DD#, Grade, Bags so what I'm trying to do is to come up with a formula that can sort by Grade & then add the total Bags against that particular Grade and...

View more questions Search