Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lufkin03 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 08:49 AM
    Unprofessional reference check
    I have a question about a reference check.

I applied for a position at an educational institution in November. At the end of December, I received notification that I'd be interviewed in mid-January. The interview was two hours long and seemed to go very well, though I wasn't asked for references.

I later found out through the grapevine at my current employer that on the day before the interview, the potential employer called my current employer to inquire about my performance. (I hadn't included a list of references or permission to contact any employers in my application. I had included letters of recommendation from my current employer, though from 2008. I also work for a professor at the institution to which I applied and included that information in my application.)

The interviewer never asked me whether she could call my CURRENT boss, nor did she tell me that she did so after the fact. My current employer has had a very high turnover rate for employees (15 have been fired or left in the last 3 years), while I've stayed and received raises. I have good cause to believe that my boss gave me a bad reference, because I earn a lot for the company and there are fewer and fewer people doing more and more work.

And I didn't get the position. And on top of that now my current employer knows I'm looking for other jobs... forget any future raises or promotions.

Why on earth did this interviewer do that? And what can I do to prevent that from happening in my next application?

Any advice is much appreciated! Thanks.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 22, 2012, 10:14 AM
    While a prospective employer will usually not contact the current employer, there is no requirement that they not do so. It is a risk one takes when they apply for new positions.

The only thing you can do is request that your current employer not be contacted until you have accepted an offer.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 11:59 AM
    They do not have to ask for permission to contact your current employor. And they may contact them if they want, if you have applied for a position.

Asking permission to contact is just a procedure some but not near all places do.

Sorry there is no way to control this expect not to list your current place on your application
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 24, 2012, 06:50 AM
    I think it is incredibly bad form for any prospective employer to contact the applicant's current employer without at least warning them of it. The conflicts that it engenders are obvious. All I can say offer is that if the people at the new job are this oblivious it's probably just as well that you aren't going to be working for them.

As to what to do for your next job application - at the interview ask whether they plan to contact your current employer.
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 24, 2012, 07:51 AM
    Well, you ARE looking for another job...

As others said... when you apply they have a right, and obligation to check out references... in the past too many people have inflated reality, or flat out lied about too many things, including what degrees they earned... so if you interview, you run that risk.

Most will avoid contacting a current employer when asked not to... but they aren't legally bound not to.

Consider this a life lesson... I've been through more than a few jobs and interviews the last 30 years... its a risk you take.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Which reference is better [ 3 Answers ]

Who should I use as my reference Guy A: -store manager and general representative for the provincial branch of company -well carried and expressed individual -Thinks I work very well -but is well aware that I am anything but punctual (knows I skipped work often) Guy B -floor manager

How to Not Reference [ 2 Answers ]

So, I work for a pretty prestigious gaming company that I am very proud of. I have good tenure, and have been there for almost 3.5 years now in the support department as management. I actively play one of the games I help to support, and have a tendency to meet lots of online personalities. So...

Criminal reference check [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I Have a job offer from school board. They have asked for the criminal reference check. I have it, but it says charges pending for theft under $5000. Will it affect the job offered by the school, If I show my police reference check. Please someone answer my question. Thanks

Unprofessional conduct of a private investigator [ 3 Answers ]

I hired a private investigator in 2006 and he gave me all wrong information about the women my husband was cheating with. I gave him $3500.00 up front and all I had left he claims was $926.00 now I want all my money back for services never received. I received no photos, no videos, and he hired...

View more questions Search