Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    monmorce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 07:17 AM
    Can my mom kick my husband out of our house?
    I have only been married for five months. My husband doesn't have his green card. We live with my mom and my kids(not his). The house is legally in my name but my mom finically helped me buy the house and helps pay the bills. Can she kick my husband out of the house?
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 07:21 AM
    Only the OWNER of the house can legally evict someone - and it appears that you are the owner. In fact, you could "kick" her out (evict her) if you wanted to.

Now - can she make such a fuss that he leaves? Yes. Can she legally evict him? No, not if the situation is what you have posted.
    monmorce Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 22, 2012, 07:27 AM
    She keeps saying because her income is the highest it gives her more legal rights. I know she could try to cause problems for us with immigration and making life unhappy but thank you I need to know what our rights are. Do you know if I would have to get a lawyer to get her to leave?
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 22, 2012, 08:03 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by monmorce View Post
    She keeps saying because her income is the highest it gives her more legal rights. ...
    She is absolutely wrong there.

Quote Originally Posted by monmorce View Post
    ... Do you know if I would have to get a lawyer to get her to leave?
    Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Sure, you could represent yourself, but if, because of her higher income, she can afford a lawyer, you should have one too. Her lawyer would probably argue that, because she helped buy the house, she has some interest in it which would prevent you from evicting her.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 22, 2012, 08:24 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by AK lawyer View Post
    She is absolutely wrong there.

Don't take a knife to a gunfight.

Sure, you could represent yourself, but if, because of her higher income, she can afford a lawyer, you should have one too. Her lawyer would probably argue that, because she helped buy the house, she has some interest in it which would prevent you from evicting her.

I would suggest that the parties try to work things out now that an Immigration question has entered the picture.

I cannot speak for other States but in NY the person who owns the property, is on the Deed, rules/controls the situation. Others may contribute money toward the purchase but that is not taken into consideration when it comes to eviction. Ownership is within the four corners of the Deed.

That was MY experience in a somewhat similar matter.

But I agree - OP should not overreact. She may win the battle but lose the war.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Can My Husband Kick Me Out of Our House? [ 16 Answers ]

I am 42, live in Maryland, have been married for 15 years and am seeking a divorce. My name is not on any property (house, car, etc) except for a joint checking account (which he is taking money out of as soon as it goes in). My husband is threatening to "kick me out" if I file for divorce. I...

Can husband kick wife out of house? [ 4 Answers ]

My husband wants me out of the house here in Dubai, UAE. We're both Americans and married for 17 years. We have one daughter who clearly hates me. I am just recovering from flu-like symptoms this week and this evening we had some confrontation which enraged me because he was filming me with his...

Can I kick my ex husband out of my house? [ 5 Answers ]

Can I kick my ex husband out of my house? He's not working. He's been here since December 09 out of the goodness of my heart. I've given him plenty of time to find a job, get his own place. Yet he is still here. I want him out. In June 2011 I gave him 5 months to vacant the premises. So he has...

Can my husband get a retraining order to kick me out the house? [ 2 Answers ]

I live in Las Vegas Nevada. I have been married for 1 year and 6 months. I have kids that aren't biologically his. The apartment is in his name. Just to get me out he says he will lie and get a retraining order against me and they will make me leave. Is that true?will they grant the order and make...

Can My husband kick me out of the house? [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are living with his mother. Not in the same house but on her property. She is in the hospital right now and can not make decisions. My husband is her beneficiary. This being said he is under a lot of stress and when we get in an argument he threatens to kick me out. He has control...

View more questions Search