Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    cricketabstain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 10:48 AM
    Sodium hydrogen carbonate mixed with sodium hydrogen sulfate?
    What happens if you mix sodium hydrogen carbonate with sodium hydrogen sulfate? When I did it, it gave off a lot of gas bubbles (I originally had sodium hydrogen sulfate and sulfur powder mixed with water) and it produced a very strong acid. My litmus strip turned a very bright red. I need to know the bi products and the resulting acid. Thanks
    DrBob1 Posts: 425, Reputation: 86

Jan 21, 2012, 04:13 PM
    NaHSO4 is the conjugate base of sulfuric acid but is very nearly a strong acid in it's own right. So what you saw is the typical Bicarb / acid reaction producing CO2 gas.
    cricketabstain Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 09:03 PM
    Addition to original question
    I had sodium hydrogen sulfate dissolved into water with a bit of sulfur powder added into the mixture plus sodium hydrogen sulfate. There were a lot of gas bubbles and the litmus strip turned bright red. The interesting part of everything was that I decided to clean a test tube that I had with the acid I had made. In that test tube was previously molten potassium permanganate and sodium hydrogen sulfate. When I poured the acid in, there were bubbles and then I dribbled a drop of the solution onto a litmus strip. The solution ate its way through the strip turning it a very bright red. What was the resulting acid and its byproducts? Thanks.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Hydrogen Sulfate/sewage smell in tenement flat [ 1 Answers ]

Hi I wonder if you can help. I live in a first floor tenement flat in Edinburgh and there is a strong smell of either hydrogen sulfate or sewage coming up through one of the floorboards as you enter into the living room. This smell seems to coincide with the man upstairs having his toilet removed...

Sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid [ 11 Answers ]

What is the product of sodium carbonate + sulfuric acid?

What are concentrations of species in 0.04M sodium sulfate in water? [ 15 Answers ]

I am confusing on this problems. Could you please help me that how to do this one? Thanks

Sufuric acid + sodium carbonate [ 4 Answers ]

What would happen if you mix the to

View more questions Search