Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    kevingilbey Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 21, 2012, 09:23 AM
    Meaning of a movie quote?
    What is the meaning of this phrase from Timo Cruz's speech from the movie Coach Carter:
    There is nothing enlightened about shrinking,
    So that other people won't feel secure around you.
    Wondergirl Posts: 39,354, Reputation: 5431
    Jobs & Parenting Expert

Jan 21, 2012, 11:20 AM
    The entire quote is: "Our deepest fear is not that we are inadequate. Our deepest fear is that we are powerful beyond measure. It is our light, not our darkness, that most frightens us. Your playing small does not serve the world. There is nothing enlightened about shrinking so that other people won't feel insecure around you. We are all meant to shine as children do. It's not just in some of us; it is in everyone. And as we let our own lights shine, we unconsciously give other people permission to do the same. As we are liberated from our own fear, our presence automatically liberates others."

In other words, be your best self, and don't "shrink" so others feel big. By being your best self, you encourage others to also be their best selves.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Meaning of a Religious Quote [ 1 Answers ]

What does the quote, "The fallen shall rise in the labor of God," mean? :confused: Please help. Thank you! :o

Meaning of Quote! [ 4 Answers ]

One way to open your eyes to unnoticed beauty is to ask yourself, ‘What if I had never seen this before? What if I knew I would never see it again?’” —Rachel Carson Just say how you feel about this quote. How does this relate to an issue of concern to you? Pleasee and Thank you. :]

QUOTE meaning. [ 1 Answers ]

“Nothing in life is to be feared, it is only to be understood. Now is the time to understand more, so that we may fear less.” —Marie Curie How does this relate to an issue of concern to you. I'm thinking its about ignorance but not sure what to say. :\

Meaning of Macbeth Quote [ 1 Answers ]

In Scene 2, Macbeth describes his surroundings by saying. "Light thickens, and the crow/ Makes wing to th' rooky wood." How can these remarks also be seen as a metaphorical commentary on the events of the play?

Quote Meaning? [ 4 Answers ]

What does this quote mean by Abraham Lincoln? " Am I not destroying my enemies when I make friends of them?"

View more questions Search