Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    JadePile Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 01:49 PM
    Help to keep my horse in canter?
    I own a 15 hand beautiful welsh mare, and within the last 6 months have been struggling with canter in the school. She works well in an outline and has a striking floaty trot, (very bouncy). I have no problem asking for canter as she is very responsive to the leg. She will generally canter 3 strides before falling out of canter into a massive, what I would call driving trot pulling her head down at the same time. I have tried everything... Squeezing her on once she's in canter turns into a gallop, especially down the long side of the school. Circles we can sometime make but I have to keep her very upright and bouncy and nine times out of ten I'll be back in trot in know time!
    She is very long in the back, and am wondering if she is struggling and unbalanced.. Her saddle fits and have recently had the chiropractor out and there are no issues there, and she canters fine out on a hack.
    Does anyone have any ideas that may help?
    Pleeeeeeease

Also I forgot to mention two instructors have been on her and have the same problem.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 23, 2012, 09:37 AM
    Your mare sounds exactly like my daughter's. LOL It took years (and some frustrating failures) for my daughter to become strong enough in the leg, hand, and seat to keep her mare going, which is odd considering how very forward and free-moving the mare is. Onlookers oooh and aaah over the horse's beautiful movement and apparent willingness without realizing how much work it takes to keep her there. I have taken several dressage lessons on the horse, and despite my best efforts, I always have trouble with her breaking back to an extended trot. Sometimes she seems to feel claustrophobic indoors. That probably isn't your mare's problem, but it's something to think about. The other issue with my daughter's mare is that she has no self-confidence. She's an amazing and exciting event horse and 4 - 5-foot jumper, but she has to be "ridden" every step of the way. There's never a moment when she will just continue on a loose rein once the canter is established, and she wants direction up to and over the jump and on landing on the other side. Could your mare be of that same personality type?

Another thought... you say she drops into the extended trot with her head lowered. Is she also hollowing her back when she does this? That sounds like a great description of a horse who's moving "strung out" instead of on the bit. Could it be that you need to work more on up and down trot-canter-trot transitions and make sure she's rocked back onto her hindquarters to build her back muscles and show her that you want her reaching under and lifting from below? Does she lean on the bit or is she capable of collecting on her own without that support? I would never have believed that strong contact was necessary with any horse until I lessoned on my daughter's mare. With her (and she's been with us for 15 years and just turned 20) there's simply no other option.

I'm sure you'll work out the kinks over time. Keep the faith! LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Help I'm scared to canter! [ 5 Answers ]

Hi I've been riding for 4 weeks now but was riding at a younger age now I'm scared to canter but I love horses too much to give it up. In the past 4 weeks I'v fallen of a cob and been on a runaway pony so am pretty scared to canter got any advise for me?

How to stop a horse from bucking at a canter or galope [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 5 year old gelding... he is comfortable trotting long distance but it gets sickening after awhile. And every time I try to gethim to pick up the pace to a canter he refuses and tries to buck me off... what should I do?

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

Wiring diagram for 1976 canter motorhome [ 1 Answers ]

Need wiring diagram for 1976 dodge canter motor home.

Canter - Scared to death [ 7 Answers ]

Please help me?? I had a nasty fall about 10 weeks ago, a since then cannot get myself to canter. I`m not a pro, still learning, but have cantered in the past on casual outrides, and stayed on top. I see myself as a very novice rider, but I know I`m able to canter, just can`t get myself that...

View more questions Search