Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    moonlite Posts: 90, Reputation: 3

Jan 20, 2012, 08:21 AM
    Executor needs help
    I found out my father has appointed me Executor of his Will. I am having an issue with disbursing a bit of cash he had saved up. One of the beneficiaries used to collect my father's social security benefits every month. I know for a fact that this beneficiary did not pay my father a penny for 3 months prior to his passing. He collected these benefits and kept it for himself. What is the best way to deal with this issue ? Can I legally suspend probate until this person gives full accounting of these funds ? Or, should I disburse the funds anyway but deduct from this beneficiary what I know he owes the estate ? Thank you for any advice.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 08:30 AM
    You will need to notify them and give them a chance to explain their actions and show any money paid out for your father.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
    If the assets in the state that this person is due to inherit is geater than the amount he took, then I would agree that the best course is to treat the money as an early distribution of estate assets from your father. This can be handled by making that person's distribution from the estate smaller by the amount he took. When you divide up the estate assets among heirs you include this amount as an asset, divide it among the heirs, and reduce the payout to this person by that amount.

As Fr_Chuck says - you should inform each heir as to what is happening. Calling it an "early distribuition" can avoid arguments that might arise if you accuse him of stealing.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Executor [ 3 Answers ]

I am from a family of five. My sister and one brother are co-executors. My parents of 83 years old have finally completed their will and trust. My other two brothers have recently persuaded my parents to take a loan on one of their rental properties (but it will be in my parents name only). At the...

What an executor can not do? [ 8 Answers ]

My mom just died less than 2 weeks ago, I am 1 of 5 kids. My brother and sister are both executors of her will(which I have not been allowed to see), anyway they are already negotiating between themselves who gets which of the 3 cars(1 of them doesn't run), there is 3 houses and a total of 50...

Can you witness a will and be the Executor? [ 8 Answers ]

My parents have both passed away in the past 5 months. Mother's will left all to my Dad. Dad's will left all to us four kids. Both wills were written and notorized on the same day several years ago. My sister and I were witness to both wills as well as another witness. Now that Dad has passed away...

Removing name as executor [ 5 Answers ]

I am the executor of both of my parent's wills. My father is terminally ill, and I will continue to be the executor of his will. Because of some mental health issues with my mother, I would like to remove my name as executor of her will, and add another family member's name. How can I do this? ...

Need to know what an executor can or cannot do! [ 2 Answers ]

HELP! I am one of 4 beneficiaries (siblings) who inherited a house from my father. There was an appraisal done after his death to establish a cost basis for the home. Home has not been sold yet due to family who thought they wanted to buy it, then indecision of executor to sell with realtor or...

View more questions Search