Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Hiddle Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Nov 19, 2004, 08:03 AM
    Copied Excel 2003 write protected
    I want to use an Excel file from my desktop PC on my laptop.

When I copy an UNPROTECTED excel 2003 file the copy is always WRITE PROTECTED and the check boxes are greyed out. I cannot save with a new name and unprotect it as access is denied.

I am using Nero to burn the CD

Any help much appreciated

Hiddle
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 19, 2004, 04:50 PM
    Do you mean the copy on the CD?
    Files on CD's are always "write protected", yes, and you cannot change it. A CD is not a standard read/write medium.

Nov 20, 2004, 10:09 AM
    Thanks for responding.

It was always possible to copy a spreadsheet to a floppy and open it on another machine, so I assumed...

I have tried both CDR and CD RW and hit the same problem with read only.

So how do I work on the same file on another machine? I know it is OK if I
    E mail it and then open it, but that seems a pretty bizarre way to achieve simple ends.

TIA
    urmod4u Posts: 248, Reputation: 4

Nov 20, 2004, 02:51 PM
    You will have to copy the files from the CD to the harddisk of the other computer, and open the spreadsheet from that harddisk.
    A CD just cannot be used as a diskette - whether it be a CD-R or CD-RW does not matter. Windows considers a CD as a read-only medium.
    Note: I know that there are utilities (such as InCD) that allow it, but this is not the question here. MS-Office would not use them anyway.

Nov 21, 2004, 02:59 AM
    Many thanks for your help which is very much appreciated - it is always so obvious once someone tells you the answer!

David

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to disable the Write Protected 128 Mb pen drive (frontech). [ 21 Answers ]

Hi ,I having 128 Mb flash drive of Frontech company.for some unknown reason that showing "write protected ,disable it to use" message is coming.I tried several ways but not succeeded.how to disable that write protected flash drive.presently it allows to copy from the drive but not to that drive and...

Unlocking Protected Excel Documents [ 3 Answers ]

My godfather just sent me an email saying that he has a spreadsheet at work that he or any of his colleagues know the password for. Does anyone know anything that can remove/reset the password on Excel spreadsheets?

Excel 2003 issue [ 2 Answers ]

Hi I have a problem with the auto calculation feature in excel. It doesn't seem to be working. I have to use the super calculation feature, crtl+F9 or F9 in order for the calculation to work. Do you know why this is? I'm running excel 2003 (Office 2003 SP1) and the file was saved in excel XP....

Floppy disk permanently write protected [ 1 Answers ]

The computer always displays the Write Protect error message, even if the write protect tab is in the write position. Can you tell me how to solve this problem?

Destination file is write protected [ 0 Answers ]

Hello, I'm trying to install a program and I'm getting this error message Warning - Can not copy file D:\temp\SETUP1.EX_ since the destination file is write protected I click Ok then another message appear Invalid command-line parameters. Unable to continue Then Setup wasn't complete...

View more questions Search