Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Dussumieri Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 20, 2012, 12:03 AM
    (suspected) severe commitment phobia
    I suspect I have commitment phobia, I say suspect because I my inability to open up to people includes phsycologists (I have only been once, it took me the better part of a decade to make myself go, but after I spent the entire hour lying and downplaying how I felt I couldn't bring myself to go again).

I personally feel a physical sense of panic and a desire to run as soon as I suspect a reciprocal interest, and it is just getting worse as I get older (NB I am 28), and it is now at the point that just the thought of being in a relationship brings on feelings of anxiety and panic (even thinking about it to write this is causing me to break out in a flop sweat).

If anyone else has experienced this I would very much like to hear if anything you have tried has helped to make any progress, however small.
    awesomagic Posts: 69, Reputation: 46

Jan 20, 2012, 11:33 PM
    Do you want to be in a relationship? I ask because some people who share you discomfort don't wish for a relationship with another. Some people were just meant to be alone and they are comfortable with that. If you do want a relationship, feeling the way you feel about things, I would recommend seeing a professional. It doesn't have to be a psychologist or any of that. Go see your family doctor, as they are trusted, non-judgemental, and quite helpful. Your minister is another great resource. We hear all kinds of problems every single day. Again, we are non-judgemental. A trusted friend could be another avenue for assistance.

Mainly, don't be embarrassed or ashamed. Everybody has problems, and our problems span the entire spectrum of possibilities. I'm sorry that I don't have a clear answer for you. But hopefully this will turn you on to where you can get some answers. Just be yourself with whomever you speak with.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Commitment Phobia [ 295 Answers ]

My boyfriend and I have dated for 4.5 years. We have watched many of our friends and family meet, get engaged, get married, all before us. This breaks my heart every time. Most recently his sister announced their engagement. We have a wonderful relationship and many of our friends call us...

Commitment Phobia [ 7 Answers ]

First I want to apologize, I know there are quite a few commitment phobia questions but I didn't feel as though I related to any. My situation is very ODD/RARE and I have yet to find someone to relate and I was hoping I could find it here. Let me see if I can get all the details out and then ask my...

Commitment phobia [ 5 Answers ]

hi, I and my guy have been together for 10 and a half years. we have parted several times for short durations but keep coming back to each other. we really love each other but we have recently realised that he is commitment phobic...how do we overcome this..he is willing to but we don't know what...

Commitment Phobia? [ 24 Answers ]

I am dating someone that I believe has Commitment Phobia. He knows that he has commitment issues and knows that he has to work on them. I just received the whole, "we should slow things down" phrase right when he told me that his feelings were very very strong and that he likes me more than a...

Commitment phobia? [ 7 Answers ]

Has anyone ever heard of this? I was reading about how often the person in the relationship with this issue will come up with reasons as to why you shouldn't be together. However, they don't give you a reason. My boyfriend of almost two years did this my guess is because of two bad past...

View more questions Search