Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2012, 01:30 PM
    The day the web stood still
    Well maybe it did for you but it didn't for me. I couldn't contact a few favourite sites but generally you could not tell the difference. What a useless protest and about what? That an IP didn't want the responsibility for having to take down those obnoxious sites or that a government shouldn't have the right and ability to regulate what is essentially commerce
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2012, 02:59 AM
    It was much bigger than that . I am the first one to defend intellectual property rights... but the bills proposed would give the US government the power to censor content on the net... way too much power .

Giving the federal government regulatory control of the Internet, as in authoritarian regimes such as China and Iran, is not the answer to online piracy...

Would sites that disseminated leaked emails on Operation Fast and Furious or documents exposing politically connected donors getting stimulus cash also become subjected to government wrath?

Could greenies shut down sites advocating more drilling?

Could gun-control advocates target sites promoting the Second Amendment?

In the "Alice in Wonderland" world of SOPA and PIPA, it would be accusation first, trial later.
    http://news.investors.com/Article.as...1&p=1&ibdbot=1

Also consider this... SOPA and PIPA will fall under the Commerce Department. But under the President consolidation plan , that that will be merged under 1 'agency' under the control of the Executive.

This would theoretically give the President carte blanche control over net content.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 19, 2012, 05:24 AM
    I have been very disappointed by the web protest in two ways:

1. I was disappointed at how little useful information was put out as to why the internet bigwigs are against the bills. Lots of fear mongering - "It will ruin the internet!" "Censorship!" "The sky is falling!" but no explanation as to what specifically the problems with the bills are. I know that if I were Google or AOL or Wikipedia I'd be against the bills because they would raise my costs and I'm sure would be a pain to implement. But why should the average law-abiding web user care? That's what has not been explained.

2. This is a political issue, and I think it is totally inappropriate for web sites that are not in the business of posting entertainment content to join in the blackout. I get it that companies like Google, AOL and Wikipedia are concerned, but SOPA and PIPA would not affect AMHD in the least. Supporting the protest turns sites like this from being focused on sharing information into political advocacy.
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2012, 04:28 AM
    The result is interesting, like OWS the politicians listened and retreated, so the big money lobbies lost and that is an important step
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2012, 04:48 AM
    OWS ? Not even close . Part of the problem with OWS is that their message is incoherent.. This protest had a specific target.
    At best one could say OWS has people talking leftist language with terms like 'income inequity ' and 'vulture capitalism' ( Rick Perry who's political fortunes went nowhere despite his new populist rhetoric)
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2012, 08:28 AM
    Vulture capitalism, fits Romney to a tee. Their message might have been incoherent but they picked their target well. No doubt the web protest will feature in future protests now the model has been shown to work and more effective than camping in parks
    Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2012, 02:40 PM
    Romney could easily smack that Marxist slur down .
    The problem with Romney is that he doesn't vigorously defend a free market economy .
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 21, 2012, 02:48 PM
    You know why it didn't have the dramatic effect everyone was hoping for.
    They didn't have, Gort...

Ultra Member

Jan 21, 2012, 06:35 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by tomder55 View Post
    Romney could easily smack that Marxist slur down .
    The problem with Romney is that he doesn't vigorously defend a free market economy .
    Marxist slur? You use it for one capitalist but won't let it fall at the feet of someone it fits. A free market economy doesn't need defending it stands or falls on its own merits. At the moment it is being propped up with massive government debt. On the one hand you defend a free market and on the other you defend government intervention.
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 04:18 AM
    Show me where I defend gvt intervention .

Klaatu barada nikto!
    Ultra Member

Jan 22, 2012, 01:34 PM
    So Tom you are telling me that Romney should defend the free market with a load of verbal diarrhea? That this is somehow a display of leadership qualities?

I think this is why you guys are in the mess you are; too much verbal diarrhea
    Ultra Member

Jan 23, 2012, 08:50 AM
    Guess you didn't get the Gort reference .

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Should I give her a second chance when she stood me up [ 6 Answers ]

I texted this girl if she would like to meet up for lunch yesterday at 1 she replied yea sounds good so I went to were we planned to meet up at 1 I waited 20 minutes so I just left . She didn't turn up I thought that was because I stood her up last year cause I was nervous.

Stood up? [ 11 Answers ]

Over the course of 3 months, I was talking to a guy at the place he works, which is where we met. 1. He always approached me first. 2. He always started talking to me first 3. He was scared the first time he approached me, didn't walk up to me right away. 4. He let me know he liked me first....

I got stood up on first date. Now what? [ 13 Answers ]

So I had plans to meet this girl for lunch (first date). When I spoke to her, I told her Saturday @ 1:00 pm and that I would text her the location. I texted her the location the day before, but she didn't reply. Today, I called her to let her know that I was on my way and she didn't pick up....

She stood me up after traveling 6 hours to see her. [ 16 Answers ]

Ok, so I am a junior in high school, I met my girlfriend before this summer started, I am 17 now, I was 16 then, she was 18 and still is. She is a caring person, but she is really weird. She is a pathological liar and I am sure of it. She kind of was a pretty big slut in high school but I didn't go...

Being stood up [ 18 Answers ]

OK so tonight my crush who I thought liked me was ocming over because no one was home. We organised for him to meet at my house at 7 as it is in walking distance. However he didn't show so text him saying are you coming. And he wote back after half an hour saying yeah is anybody home, do you still...

View more questions Search