Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Linnette1973 Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

Jan 17, 2012, 01:48 PM
    Can the ex-wife get custody? She's an illegal immigrant here in the US
    Ok, Here is the situation my friends are in.

Bill has remarried and has 2 children from his previous marriage. During the divorce proceedings the parents agreed to not indicate they had children to avoid any custody battle. So as agreed the children live with their father because the mother wasn't financially able to support them.

The children do see their mother on a regular but she doesn't provide any financial support for them since the divorce 5 years ago.

Now, the mother which is the non-custodial parent is filing for custody for 1 of their 2 children (11 year old girl) since she says she is ready to be a mom now.

Well she is an illegal immigrant since their divorce her green card expired 5 years ago and she's been using her married. She recently had to get a Doctor from the hospital where she works to get her birth certificate from the Philippines.

I don't think she can be granted custody because she is in the US illegally for one. She has not informed her attorny of this fact.

Trying to figure out what could possibly happen in this situation.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2012, 02:18 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Linnette1973 View Post
    Ok, Here is the situation my friends are in.

Bill has remarried and has 2 children from his previous marriage. During the divorce proceedings the parents agreed to not indicate they had children to avoid any custody battle. So as agreed the children live with their father because the mother wasn't financially able to support them.

The children do see their mother on a regular but she doesn't provide any financial support for them since the divorce 5 years ago.

Now, the mother which is the non-custodial parent is filing for custody for 1 of their 2 children (11 year old girl) since she says she is ready to be a mom now.

Well she is an illegal immigrant since their divorce her green card expired 5 years ago and she's been using her married. She recently had to get a Doctor from the hospital where she works to get her birth certificate from the phillipines.

I don't think she can be granted custody because she is in the US illegally for one. She has not informed her attorny of this fact.

Trying to figure out what could possibly happen in this situation.

What? They lied when they got divorced, saying they didn't have children? So they both committed what could be felonies.

Just about anything could happen. I'm assuming the father knew she was an illegal and did nothing about it? Now that it suits his purpose he's ready to blow the whistle on her? The Court is also going to see that. Would she get permission to stay in the US? Possibly.

If this goes to Court they BOTH have to get around filing false affidavits.

They BOTH need lawyers with a lot of experience - I see problems all the way around.
    Linnette1973 Posts: 36, Reputation: 0

Jan 17, 2012, 02:52 PM
    In response to JudyKay Tee well he married her while he was in the military and she became legal that way. He's had no issue with her being illegal but he's afraid if she's granted custody she'll take the kids to the Philippines which she's already threatened to do.

I have no idea why the hell they'd lie in court during their divorce if I were in contact with them at that time I would havd advised against.

You're right it's a seriously screwed up situation hard to say how it will turn out.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 04:16 PM
    Yes being illegal will not stop her from getting custody, and currently the US is not deporting illegals who have children in their custody that are legal.

So her being illegal while it may be allowed into evidence depending on the judge, may or may not have any bearing.

But yes people who are not legal here in the US do get and have custody of their children
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 17, 2012, 04:25 PM
    - And someone posted not too long ago about an "illegal" wife who was deported to Mexico... and she CHOSE to take the children with her. Apparently if the mother is illegal and has custody the children go with her.
    AK lawyer Posts: 12,592, Reputation: 977
    Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 09:28 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by JudyKayTee View Post
    - And someone posted not too long ago about an "illegal" wife who was deported to Mexico ... and she CHOSE to take the children with her. Apparently if the mother is illegal and has custody the children go with her.
    Makes sense.

On the other hand, when the custodial parent moves from one state to another, the NCP can object if his or her visitation rights are adversely affected. It should go the same way if she moves to a foreign country, voluntarily or not. So he must not have done anything.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My wife was an illegal immigrant in the usa.she is now in mexico.how can I get here? [ 5 Answers ]

She was taken by i.c.e. the first time she came here as a minor with her parents.. she later(years later) married me and now were expecting a family addition... we filed for a spousal petition(recognizing her presence here in the usa) before she had to take an emergency trip to mexico(completely...

Get married illegal immigrant [ 2 Answers ]

My husband and I are married here in the us but he is no legal cani go to mexico to make him legal here in the us?

Marrying an Illegal Immigrant [ 8 Answers ]

I was with a guy for almost 6 years. We were deeply in love and everything was well. I came to the US when I was 2, I am now 22 and am still waiting for my papers to become a US citizen when we got a call stating that I am now over 21 and I would have to get my papers on my own which leaves me with...

View more questions Search