Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    dingadong04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Feb 14, 2007, 08:50 AM
    Looking for the history of a Medal
    I have been given a medal by a friend who says he foud it 25 years ago , the medal bears the words ASLYUM GENETIS BATAVORUM STAD TIEL with a scene of a town ,which I now know to be the town of Tiel in holland ,on one side and the words Awarded by the municipal council of Tiel , plus the Tiel coat of arms on the other side . The medals has no date so this is what I'm trying to find out
    When would this have been awarded ?
    To whom ?
    And for what reason?
    What makes this more intresting is that this medal which seems to be of Dutch origins was found in the Belfast Hills Northern Ireland so thank you for any help that you can give..

Paul
    colbtech Posts: 748, Reputation: 66

Feb 15, 2007, 08:15 AM
    Think this is more of a city medal for outstanding work in the community, rather than a military medal. Perhaps try contacting the town archives/local library, etc

Found this in the encyclopedia brittanica:
    merchant guild a European medieval association composed of traders interested in international commerce. The privileged fraternity formed by the merchants of Tiel in Gelderland (in present-day Netherlands) about 1020 is the first... Rough translation is:
    ASYLUM (Refuge, place of safety)
    GENETIS (give birth to)
    BATAVORUM (area of Holland)
    STAD TIEL (the town of Tiel)

Good Luck, let us know what you find out.
    dingadong04 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Mar 24, 2007, 06:05 AM
    Thanks colbtech for yer reply the translation is Refuge of the Batavarian people.. I have contact the Teil council but am still waiting for a reply.. so once again thanks for the help

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

History [ 1 Answers ]

According to Ban Zhou, as a baby, women in ancient China should learn all of the following except: A her duty to marry for her family. B her inferior position in life. C her duty to be hardworking. D her responsibility for the details of ancestor worship. Please Help

Checking the history if the history has been deleted [ 3 Answers ]

I want to know all the sites my family has been visiting on the web. How do I check that if the history has been erased/deleted? Thanks in advance.

History [ 2 Answers ]

According to what I have learned, the X in the old spanish had the sound of the english H, or the spanish J, for that matter. That is why Mexico is pronounced Mejico and not Mecsico. The same thing goes for Texas and Don Quixote. Can you tell me what sound the J had in spanish before this...

History [ 2 Answers ]

Nezahualcoyolt was considered an outstanding leader for all of the following except:

History! [ 3 Answers ]

Ananda Pillai's description of the Christian's dinner party pointed to which wrongdoing of the host? A - He tried to convert guests to Christianity. B - He served European food only. C - He invited members of other religions although he was a convert. D - He invited members of all levels of...

View more questions Search