Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    WMorg555 Posts: 105, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 09:50 AM
    Money from IRA for home repair
    Will an 84 year old who has an IRA be penalized for taking $20,000 out to do a home repair?
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 17, 2012, 10:34 AM
    No - early withdrawal penalties apply only to people under 59-1/2 years of age.

If this is a traditional IRA anyone over age 70-1/2 is REQUIRED to take minimum annual distributions - at age 84 the required minimum distribution is 6.45% of the account value. Income tax will be owed on the portion of the withdrawal attributable to pre-tax contributions and earnings.

If this is from a Roth account that has been in existence at least 5 years the withdrawal is tax free, and there is no mimumum required annuall withdrawal.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Penalty on withdrawing money from an IRA [ 20 Answers ]

Hi, In 2008 I withdrew about $6000 from my IRA to help pay for living expenses and some educational expenses. I was told that I may have to pay a 10%penalty for early withdrawal. However, that was my only source of "income" in 2008 (I have no W2 forms for 2008 as I did not work). I also took out an...

Need Money from Self Directed IRA [ 1 Answers ]

During the election campaign, candidates were talking about waiving the 10% penalty for early withdraw from your retirement account (due to the economy)... Does anyone have any info as to whether that this new law has been passed or not, or if it's still being discussed.

Can I take out money from IRA for education ? [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, I'm an Indian Citizen working as a consultant. I have a traditional IRA account for 2007 contribution. I am also planning for 2008 contribution. I got admission in universities for MBA and would like to take out entire money from IRA to fund my MBA. I do understand that I don't have to...

Withdrawing ira money [ 2 Answers ]

1. If I had a choice of opening a reg or ira acct and make withdrawals from the ira acct knowing that I was going to have to pay taxes on early withdrawl plus a 10% penalty tax. And let's assume that I could make 12% in whatever acct. how much above 12% would I need to make it worth my while to...

View more questions Search