Ask
    jocky69 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 17, 2012, 05:30 AM
    Free harley davidson troubleshooting?
    Was wondering what would cause 1st and 2scnd gears tighting on 1340 fxrs
    PeterHD13 Posts: 15, Reputation: 1

Feb 6, 2012, 05:32 AM
    Hi

I've just installed a custom chrome 5 speed kicker in my 1990 FLT Harley Davidson. It kicks in one to 4 kicks when dead cold full choke ( stopped for 2 days) but when it's hot it is hit and miss. When it's hot I found that if I have the choke off and don't squirt in any fuel it will kick between 3 and 7 kicks. Sometimes it backfires through the carbie instead of starting and I got a blocked main I had to blow out with air. I've given up a few times and used the electric when it's hot ( been for a ride for a few miles). Starts easy on electric start.

It has a crane fireball J grind cam, crane big coil and heavy valve springs , adjustable rods stock Hydraulic lifters and it's almost on stock full advanced, I put separate pipes no equaliser I designed on it over 15 years ago stock air filter . Has been on for 13 years and runs great. Stock electron ignition though I bought a good second hand Screaming Eagle ignition 1995/6 that I've got wiring instructions for yet to wire in. I'm running a big main jet and pilot in a 40mm kehlin CV. I've just installed a CV Performance kit (minus jets too small) with their thick point slide needle and main jet power tube that gives the main a sprinkler spray pattern.I also put in a low profile pumper with smaller spray hole It runs good and very snappy. I also put in their easy adjust idle and mixture screw kits. Starts same first hit or turn on electric , I use full choke when dead cold no choke when hot, I don't twist the throttle.

Can you tell me what my Kicker problem is so it will be more predictable and efficient to start especially when hot? Today was very hot and I went out in the afternoon to start the bike after it sat over the weekend but I got the same problem when its been running and ended up using the electric. Previous 2 weeks its been cooler air temps as it's been raining. I thought it might be timing.

PeterHD13
    Fatbob-01 Posts: 6, Reputation: 1

Oct 18, 2012, 09:40 PM
    My 2009 Fatbob is making oil, any idea what can cause this?

Oct 19, 2012, 04:05 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Fatbob-01 View Post
    My 2009 Fatbob is making oil, any idea what can cause this?
    No . When you say making oil is it leaking somewhere specific?

Oct 19, 2012, 05:36 AM
    Hi PeterHD, no it's not leaking, but when I check the oil level between rides the level on the dipstck has increased and has a fuel smell. I have even had to drain some via the sump plug. Is there anyway the fuel can mix with the oil?

Oct 19, 2012, 05:38 AM
    Hi PeterHD, no it's not leaking, but when I check the oil level between rides the level on the dipstck has increased and it has a fuel smell. I have even had to drain some oil via the sump plug. Is there anyway the fuel can mix with the oil and enter the sump?

Oct 19, 2012, 06:26 AM
    I heard about this years ago back in the late 70's a bloke had a CBX and left the fuel on when he stopped it the fuel kept getting sucked into the cylinder went past the rings and into the sump and when he went back to start it after 2 weeks .it caught fire! My Ford V8 did this but it's a wet sump too . I'm not sure what caused it as fuel should be burnt while the motors running so that just leaves when it's stopped. I suppose if you had the bike stopped and kept twisting the throttle if you have a carbie the pumper would keep squirting fuel into the cylinder which had the intake valve open and the fuel would go past the rings eventually and into the sump. Then when the bike started the scavenge pump would pick up the fuel and put it into the oil tank. I don't know about EFI but if the fuel ijector stuck open when you were stopped the same thing could happen I suppose.

Oct 19, 2012, 07:55 AM
    I have heard that the injectors could be a problem and will remove them and give them a good looking over. Thanks again, Ride safe
    Ridingfortheson Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jul 10, 2013, 05:23 AM
    After I Installed New lifters My evo (94) Started running super hot! Didn't touch anything else.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Free harley davidson troubleshooting [ 49 Answers ]

All electrical works but hit stater switch then nothing

Free harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

My 06Fatboy has been sitting in the garage for months on a battery tender, I tried to start it and all I heard was a chatter sound, sounds like a machine gun when I hold the starter button down. Need help, thanks

Free harley davidson troubleshooting [ 1 Answers ]

I have a 93 sportster I have oil spitting out the carb

Free harley davidson troubleshooting? [ 0 Answers ]

Where is fuse for electric for radio and cd player, is there a inline fuse or just fuses in main fuse box . I have no power to on and off switch for radio/CD player

View more questions Search