Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    paraclete Posts: 2,706, Reputation: 173
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2012, 07:47 PM
    Affluence is a curse
    Believe it or not you are all doomed and the source of this doomsday has been found. It is skyscrappers or in other words affulence. When a nation can afford to build skyscrappers doomsday is not far away. Is it arrogance that causes a nation to invest in tall buildings, the harbringers of doom?
    Curse of the skyscrapers

Even the mighty have been subject to the curse.
    DrJ Posts: 1,328, Reputation: 339
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2012, 08:47 PM
    Shhhh... don't tell China!
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 08:48 PM
    Tower of Babel in the bible,
    Ultra Member

Jan 16, 2012, 11:45 PM
    Well that's one more warning we didn't heed
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2012, 03:27 AM
    In China's case ,they are building Potamkin skyscrapers.
    I believe the Empire State Building was privately funded.

It had some vacancies during the depression ;but part of the problem was it's relative proximity to the subways and trains... The Chrysler building.. (also built with private funds ).. that was built at the same time in a competition to build the world's tallest building, was closer to the trains and did not suffer the same depression effect.

Both buildings are marvels despite the fact that they are no longer the world's tallest. It is worth visiting them when you are in NY just the see the art deco style design.
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2012, 04:15 AM
    QUOTE=;][/QUOTE]
    Missed the moment, Tom, it isn't about relative depression it is about a general malaise following the building of one of these things so it only needs one per city, country for the curse to operate.

It doesn't matter whose money is used although on balance China may be exempt because government money is used, no profit motive

There is no doubt you can suck the life out of a lighter moment without even trying:confused:
    tomder55 Posts: 1,742, Reputation: 346
    Ultra Member

Jan 17, 2012, 04:25 AM
    Being exposed to you for too long;I've developed the Aussie sense of humor. But I agree... the premise of the article is inane.. there is no correlation.
    Ultra Member

Jan 18, 2012, 01:33 PM
    I don't know what sense of humour you think you have, but it is hardly aussie. We are a fun loving people
    excon Posts: 21,482, Reputation: 2992
    Uber Member

Jan 19, 2012, 08:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by paraclete View Post
    Believe it or not you are all doomed and the source of this doomsday has been found. It is skyscrappers or in other words affulence.
    Hello clete:

Interestingly enough, I AGREE with you. Although I don't think skyscrapers are the canary in the coal mine... It's the prison population.. Only a RICH society at the end of its run, puts people in jail for stupid sh1t.

excon
    Ultra Member

Jan 19, 2012, 01:57 PM
    Yes ex the size of the prison population might be an indicator of decline or perhaps an overactive legislature, still better than the example of the first republic in France who found a solution to their social problems in another form
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 23, 2012, 06:54 PM
    I guess that explains NYC... but not Hollywood and LA... Or Seattle.
    Ultra Member

Jan 24, 2012, 02:10 AM
    Give them time

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

I have a curse put on me! [ 23 Answers ]

I have had the worse luck for as long as I can remember.(bad luck isn't even the word) Absolutely everyone in my family is messed up to the point where I had to disown all of them to ever have a normal life. So I left home when I was 15, I've always tried and tried and been a very strong person....

Is this a curse or a gift? [ 4 Answers ]

What do you do with the information in these dreams? I have always drempt of things or places even people I have never met before. Before these things happen. Some times they are so intense I can smell, touch and almost taste every ting going on around me in these dreams. I...

Am I a curse? [ 5 Answers ]

ok-so I am 13 years old- I answer allot of paranormal ?'s and will answer more. But the reason for y I feel like I need to answer them is because of-here it goes, believe me- a ghost, I see the dead- :eek: and the writing, its quite freaky for me- plus. I here them talking- ever wounder what its...

How do I rid myself of a curse ? [ 3 Answers ]

I am convinced that my partner and I are cursed. For the past year, everything seems to be going haywire for us. Just an example: W are Jack Russel breeders and every time we sell a puppy and try to save money, an event ALWAYS happens were we need to use the money we have made on emergencies......

I was told I have a curse on me [ 9 Answers ]

Okay, Let me begin by saying that I have felt crazy for the past few days. Anyway—As far back as I can remember it seems like I’ve always had bad luck. I really don’t know if this is true for everyone, or if I’m one of the extreme cases. I’ve always felt as if something was holding me back,...

View more questions Search