Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    thasaNU Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 16, 2012, 11:58 AM
    J-1 visa taxes and 212(e) regulation
    Hi all,

I am going to travel in the US as a J-1 researcher (post doc) in Northwestern University for the next one - two years. What about taxes in this period? Do I have an exemption?
    My Welcome Letter says that I am subjected to two years regulation, I.e. I have to return to my country home before return to the US for another J-1, or I can extend the J-1 I have already before my DS-2019 expires. Why;s that? What if I want to find a job in the US after finishing my one-two years program?

Thanks
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 16, 2012, 07:46 PM
    Normally J1 researchers are exempt from federal income tax for two years. It depends upon tax treaty with your country. What country are you resident of?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How to file taxes for H1B visa holder and wife on visiting visa [ 1 Answers ]

Hello! I got married on 20th Nov 2010. My wife was in USA for 8 days. Then she went back to UK where she has a job and is paying taxes there. We will be living apart till 2012. Now, 2 questions: 1) Assuming I will be filing taxes married but not jointly, so how should I get my salary in...

I am on F-1 visa and my husband has F-2 visa but he is in india.Help with taxes [ 3 Answers ]

I have my W-2 forms with status married. And I would like to file jointly, but that needs by spouse SSn/ITIN number. For application of ITIN is my husband eligible? He is not in USA right now. He came to US and stayed for one month in 2008. Can I apply for ITIN he being not in USA..

JD 212 dies when blades are engaged [ 1 Answers ]

We have a JD 212 garden tractor. When you engage the blades the mower will die. Can anyone help try to explain what may be causing this problem? Jensallen.. we looked over the info you sent and found that the reason it wouldn't start was because of the carborator. Thank you so much for your help.....

JD 212 won't start [ 2 Answers ]

I have a 212 John Deere garden tractor. I have gas in it, have fire, turns over fine, it's not flooding out, but it won't start. Any help would be appreciated. Thanks

Math 212 homework [ 2 Answers ]

I am absolutely stumped. I have a take-home final for quantitative analysis and quality control that is due tomorrow and there are a few questions that I can't figure out. (I wish I had thought to ask my professor which part of statistics to use to help me but too late now) In the United...

View more questions Search