Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    snowmist69 Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 15, 2012, 04:19 PM
    Math
    I hate word problems!! I have this word problem and need help just getting started at least I think. Here it is.

You have been assigned a task of estimating the cost of a tree removal. The cost is $25 per foot, up to 50 feet; above that the cost increases to $50 per foot. You drop your kids off at the swimming pool and see your friends basking in the sun and wish you could stay. You get to the job site only to find out the basket truck that was suppose to meet you broke down 16 miles away. Explain how you can estimate the height of the tree.

This problem has too much wording and I just don't know where to start. Any help please.
    corrigan Posts: 115, Reputation: 18

Jan 15, 2012, 10:46 PM
    This problem is intentionally confusing. The kids and the swimming pool has nothing to do with anything. The fact that the truck broke down 16 miles away means nothing, and the cost per foot of removing the tree is meaningless with out a price to compare it to.

I think the problem is asking how to measure the tree with out a basket truck. If that is the case, it's a matter of shadow ratios. Let me explain. First, you would measure the length of a shadow of something you know the height of. Easiest thing to do would be to use your own shadow. Put a rock on the ground and walk until the rock is on the top of your shadow's head, then put another rock where you are standing. The length of your shadow is the distance between the rocks. Take your height, (your real height, not what you tell people) and divide the length of your shadow. This is then the ratio of real height to shadow height. Measure the length of the tree's shadow, then multiply by the ratio, and this will give the real height of the tree. Keep in mind, this can't be an all day project. As the day goes on, the sun moves in the sky and so the tree's shadow will move.

I hope this helps :)
    snowmist69 Posts: 103, Reputation: 3

Jan 15, 2012, 11:20 PM
    Thank you for the help. Your answer makes a lot of sense to me.
    pr1961 Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Aug 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
    The cost to remove a tree is $25 per foot, up to 50 feet; above that, the cost increases to $50 per foot. Explain how you can estimate the height of the tree.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Aug 28, 2012, 04:51 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by pr1961 View Post
    The cost to remove a tree is $25 per foot, up to 50 feet; above that, the cost increases to $50 per foot. Explain how you can estimate the height of the tree.

It is AMHD policy not to do homework - please post your answer and someone will come along to review it.

You don't learn anything if an AMHD member does the work for you.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

To take math or not to take math? Warning:long [ 7 Answers ]

Hey I need some advice. I'm currently a high school junior, and I am HOPELESS at mathematics. I've always managed to scrape by with 65s, and trust me its not lack of effort, I try really hard. All my other grades are over 90s, with the exception of sciences which are in the high 80s. Last year I...

Math Help [ 3 Answers ]

The fourth, seventh and sixteenth terms of an Arithmetic Progression are in a geometric progression, If the first six terms of the Arithmetic progression have a sum of 12, find the common difference of the Arithmetic Progression and the common ratio of the Geometric Progression

Which math is easier- college algbera or liberal arts math? [ 2 Answers ]

What math is easier- college algbera or liberal arts math?

I need math skills on this math problems [ 6 Answers ]

81 divided by 3726.83 divided by 3158

Math.not sure [ 1 Answers ]

Sorry, I didn't ask the full question. Here it is... What is three, free, and 18?

View more questions Search