Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shinyonne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 09:33 AM
    Which space heater to get?
    Hello,

I live in a basement apartment in a house with three units. It's heated centrally by a gas furnace that heats the entire building. All the tenants have noticed how unevenly this house (it's old) is heated, with rooms upstairs that are an inferno while my apartment is an icebox in winter. My landlord said I can get a space heater (he pays the electric bills). I have a small ceramic one I use to warm up the immediate area around me. However, I'd like something that I can place in the living room and one for the bedroom that I can safely leave on for hours and will heat the rooms more slowly and keep them warm at a steady temperature. I researching heaters and thinking maybe an oil-filled heater might be what I'm looking for, but am keen for suggestions. Also, is it possible to get a heater that can put out more or less heat depending on how you set it? My ceramic space heater has a thermostat, but all that does is cycle the heater on and off. Thanks!
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2012, 09:52 AM
    I, of course, don't know where you are but landlords are required to provide heat. Or is yours an illegal apartment?

I don't know if any heater is safe and anything electric will bring your bill to an amazingly high level.
    shinyonne Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 15, 2012, 10:03 AM
    The apartment is heated and is not illegal. It's just that it is an old house and does not heat evenly. The apartment on the top floor is extremely hot and I'm not going to ask the tenants to turn it up even more so I can be warm. My landlord pays the heating bills, not me, and he has told me I can get space heaters, which I have. I supposed I could demand he pay for them, and he will probably have to if I ask, but he's a nice guy and it's not that big a deal. Plus, he'll be paying for the extra electricity bills, and he knows this, so I'm not too concerned (but obviously don't want to bankrupt the guy.)

I can't imagine that no heater is safe. In fact, I already have a small ceramic space heater and have been using it for months. I just use it carefully, turn it off at night and when I leave the room.

Can someone answer my question? I'm looking for a different type of heater, described above.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 15, 2012, 10:20 AM
    I have a large ceramic heater in the room where my birds are caged. It has a thermostat and a timer. It also came with a warning that it should not be used when no one is home.

Does that answer your question?

Or you can use this link to do your own research: Types of space heaters from Consumer Reports

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Water heater in crawl space [ 4 Answers ]

I just had a plumber replace a dead water heater in my crawl space. The old one had plastic under it and then the tank was set on bricks. The new one was just placed on top of the plastic, no bricks. I am not comfortable with this as the crawl space is damp. Is this acceptable?

Space heater cord [ 1 Answers ]

I have a radiant space heater(120v - 1500watts). I plugged it into a new medium duty extension cord(125v - 1625 watts) and now my heater will not work at all. It worked briefly when first plugged in but now there is no power going to the heater at all even if it is plugged directly into the wall...

Electric Space Heater Efficiency [ 3 Answers ]

With the large variety of electric space heaters out there purporting to be the "best, and most efficient" such as the Eden Pure, and others, I cannot for the life of me see where one is better than another. Watts is watts, right? P=EXI every time? I don't think the power usage is more or less...

Garage/space heater wiring [ 1 Answers ]

I want to run wire from my breaker box to my storage shed, For a space heater # Input: 240/208 V # 16.7 / 14.4 Amps # Watts: 4000 / 3000 # BTU: 13650 / 10238 # Plug Type: 20 Amp Which type wire do I need, 10/3 or 10/2?, can I use 12 awg ?

Electric space heater [ 1 Answers ]

What size fuses do I use for a 480 volt space heater with it own fan that draws 24 amps

View more questions Search