Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    fer810 Posts: 29, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 06:15 PM
    Dell 1420 power lite comes on then goes right off... won't boot.. Any ideas?
    Ok I went through this with another laptop... gave up and sold it... this one I want to fix.. I just put in new hardrive battery etc. Won't boot... lite comes on goes right off... if I hold power button and function esc.. it tries to power up but doesn't,. any ideas? Maybe remove the cmos battery?/ I have reseated ram.. I am at a lost here . Ty
    cdad Posts: 12,700, Reputation: 1438
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
    Are you using a Dell approed power supply? Have you tried a different one? Dell power supplies have a small pin in the center and it is actually connected to a cpmponent inside the charger. If it is not there or the component is bad it won't charge and may be the cause of not powering up at all.

Check the charger first.

Jan 14, 2012, 08:05 PM
    Yes it is a good charger... I have tried 2 and they both charge the battery... and they have the pin

Thanks for the suggestion
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 07:56 AM
    It is a power problem for sure. It's the finding it that is difficult. Have you checked the switch on the battery compartment? Sometimes that can deactivate a laptop. You should be able to see it when you remove the battery. See if it "clicks" at all.

Jan 15, 2012, 09:47 AM
    OK I will try that thanks... will let you know if it works
    Curlyben Posts: 18,514, Reputation: 1860
    BossMan

Jan 15, 2012, 10:18 AM
    Have you tried booting it without having the battery installed, so simply on AC power and vis versa.
    Would help to rule out these things.

Any POST messages or beeps and can you access the BIOS/CMOS settings

Jan 15, 2012, 10:36 AM
    No beeps just power light comes on then goes off... doesnt boot to anything... I am going to try and reset the cmos battery... now if hold in the power button and fn and f2 all at same time.. the top 3 lites come but soon as I let go everything goes off...
    I got this with out hard drive battery etc. I have put new hard drive battery etc.
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 11:43 AM
    Did you see this unit work at all before? Also does it have a lock feature on it? (tiny slot in the side)

Jan 15, 2012, 11:48 AM
    OK I bought this as is... so no I have not seen it on... and yes there is a small slot on side... I looked in with light.. realy don't see anything.. should I try to push it with paper clip or something?
    I did not pay much for this and parts were cheap... but I would love to get it running..
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 11:56 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by fer810 View Post
    ok I bought this as is...so no i have not seen it on... and yes there is a small slot on side...I looked in with light..realy dont see anything..should i try to push it with paper clip or something?
    I did not pay much for this and parts were cheap...but i would love to get it running..
    If it has a lock feature. Then it is possible that the lock (electronic) is turned on. Without the proper key it will never turn on. It may be possible to reset it by removing the battery from the motherboard. But that could be a long shot. Most lock slots have a padlock icon near it.

Documentation

Jan 15, 2012, 12:00 PM
    Hmm I don't see a padlock symbol... I have disconected and reconected just about everything, I will keep trying maybe I will get lucky.

Here is another question for you.. compaq presario 2100 has a bios password can't get past it.. I have tried just about everything... any ideas on that?

I get a lot of good laptops that are easy... but then I get a few like this that just make me want to pull my hair out.. LOL all yalls help is greatly appreciated!
    Internet Research Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 01:29 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by fer810 View Post
    hmm i dont see a padlock symbol...i have disconected and reconected just about everything,,I will keep trying maybe i will get lucky.

Here is another question for yall..compaq presario 2100 has a bios password can't get past it..I have tried just about everything...any ideas on that?

i get alot of good laptops that are easy...but then i get a few like this that just make me want to pull my hair out..LOL all yalls help is greatly appreciated!
    How to Clear a Compaq Presario CMOS Password | eHow.com

Jan 15, 2012, 01:53 PM
    Well I have taken it completely apart and see no battery.. only thing I caNn figure is it must be small or sldered to motherboard someplace and I am just not seeing... I have tried backdoor passwords they haven't worked... I think ill just pull out some more hair and move onto another laptop... LOL

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

My Dell computer power button is blinking orange & no power [ 3 Answers ]

It was working fine. I changed the monitor and now the power light on the CPU is blinking orange and will not power up. Please help! It is a Dell Pentium 4. The monitor worked fine on another computer. I hooked up the old monitor and now it is still doing the same thing. PLEASE HELP!

My dell dimension e310 won't boot [ 1 Answers ]

I recently took my computer completely apart down to the bare bone so I could paint the case... I put it back together (yes I know what I'm doing, and yes I put it together right), started it up and it won't boot anything, you can hear the hard drive, and the front 1 2 3 4 lights come on. But...

Dell inspiron1501 won't boot up [ 2 Answers ]

I have a dell inspiron 1501. One min it was working fine then I got a white screen. I shut it off and tried to restart it. I can hear the fan and see the power light and the activity light on the cd rom blinking, but I get nothing on the screen... any suggestions

View more questions Search