Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Msladeetee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 03:53 PM
    Changing an existing gas & electric furnace to all electric.
    My home is 90% electric, but my furnace is electric and gas, I am curious about how to change to an all electric furnace since my air conditioning and hot water tank are both electric. Will this require me to amp up my electrical panel?
    mygirlsdad77 Posts: 5,713, Reputation: 339
    Plumbing Expert

Jan 14, 2012, 05:12 PM
    Why change from a gas furnace to electric? In most areas, gas is much cheaper than electric when it comes to heating. However, if that is not the case in your area (and I would research that if it was me) you will need to put in a complete new electric furnace. You will have to have in an electrician to see if your current electrical panel will support the extra breakers and load.

Just out of curiousity, why are you replacing the furnace? Is it just shot, or is electricity really cheaper in your area than gas? I would suggest talking to at least three heating and cooling companys before I made the switch.
    Msladeetee Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 14, 2012, 05:20 PM
    Well I figure since majority of house runs on electricity, I may as well switch my heat to electric also. Because it would be cheaper than natural gas, since I would just need it for half the year or so.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Changing from gas to electric stove hook up [ 7 Answers ]

I am changing my old gas stove and putting in a electric one. Is there anything I need to do besides shut the gas off? Thanks any help would be appreciated.

Changing dryer from electric to nat gas. [ 8 Answers ]

I have a 30 amp double pull breaker and 10/3 running to the dryer outlet. Can I use the existing 10/3 wire and put it into a 20 amp breaker (black wire only cap off the red in the panel) and take apart the 240 plug near the dryer and run the 10/3 into a junction box and run 12/2 from the box to a...

Changing from gas to electric [ 2 Answers ]

How do you change from natural gas heating to an all electric heated home? My home is gas heating, hot water heater, and cooking. How can I change my home to have only an electric bill instead of both electric and gas? Thank you so very much for all your help and time!

Changing from Gas to Electric Heating [ 4 Answers ]

I want to change my water heater, my air conditioning, and my stove from gas to electric. What will that involve and what is the cost?

Changing gas to electric [ 5 Answers ]

I am thinking of buying a home. The one I want uses gas for heating and cooking. How hard would it be to convert that to electric? I am terrified of blowing myself up in a home that has gas. The house I am looking at is about a 100 years old. Any information would be great.

View more questions Search