buzzard13 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 13, 2012, 08:54 AM
    401k how much do I get taxed?
    How much do I get taxed on if I take money out early, like 20,000
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 09:07 AM
    If you are under age 55 then the tax will be:

1. Ordinary income tax on the $20K withdrawal. The actual amount of tax owed depends on your tax bracket, but remember that since the $20K is added to your other sources of income this may put you into a higher tax bracket than you are normally in.
    2.State/local income tax, as appropriate for where you live.
    3. 10% early withdrawal penalty, or $2K.

Depending on your tax braket and amount of state/local income tax this may add up to $8K or so.

When you take the withdrawal the administrator will automatically withhold 20% for income taxes. This is similar to how your employer withholds a certain amout from your pay check - it's a down payment on taxes that you eventually figure out when you file your income tax return at the end of the year. So be sure to retain some of the money so you have sufficient funds to pay your tax bill next April.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

If you with draw from Taxed amount on 401k withdrawn? [ 5 Answers ]

If you with draw from a rollover IRA - I understand there is a 10% penalty -- but my question is; do you pay taxes on the withdraw and annual amount earned -- of the approximate 25% or after the itemized deductions reduce the earn amount - would you then be taxed on that lower amount?

I am 63 yrs old,want to take $ from my 401k, will I be taxed or penalized? [ 1 Answers ]

I am 63 and want to take some money from my 401k for a down payment on a new car. Will I be taxed or penalized for that withdrawal?

Giving my 2 weeks notice December 14th, will my 401k loan be taxed 2006 or 2007? [ 3 Answers ]

I am giving my employeer my 2 weeks December 14, 2007 and I currently have a 401k loan, will this loan be added to my upcoming taxes 2007 or will the loan be claimed on my 2008 taxes? Thank you for any information that you can give! It is greatly appreciated! Mona

View more questions Search