Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    MOONandCHARM Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 12, 2012, 03:57 PM
    I have a horse and want to jump in a Western saddle.
    The horse is QH and loves jumping himself.I only have a wetern saddle.But can I jump with it?
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2012, 07:41 AM
    Ah, a rider after my own heart! I jump English, Western, bareback, and sometimes without the horse (but that's not a good thing).

Yes, you can jump in a Western saddle, but be forewarned that 1) you want to keep the jumps low (2 feet is probably the max you should attempt) as you can't lean forward enough to balance if there's a horn in your way, 2) Western saddles actually distribute the rider's weight more evenly, so your horse might actually enjoy it, and 3) you'll need to be extra careful about the position of the saddle in relationship to the horse's shoulders. If he can't move his shoulders freely, you're going to risk hurting him. English jumping saddles are specifically built to avoid interference with either the horse's movement or the rider's balance. I find I tend to stay more-or-less upright going over cross rails in a western saddle, so I have to be careful not to land on the horse's back with a painful thud.

You don't say whether you're male or female, but I will share that I learned the hard way that a barrel saddle is an excellent choice for its small size and light weight, but that tall, skinny horn that lets you grab with your whole hand will very neatly slip under the front of your bra if you lean too far forward, which can lead to some very interesting riding experiences. Just keep your palm flat on the horn to prevent that and to keep the horn from breaking your ribs or jamming into your solar plexus on the up side of the jump arc. If you're a guy, you have another body part to worry about as the swell is unforgiving on landing. Okay?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Have a black western saddle about 20 years old two sets of numbers on it... 2T93,412 [ 2 Answers ]

2T93 is on saddle under the legging to the stirup the T is bigger than the other numbers. The 412 is on an attached decoration which is original. Bought about 20 years ago, has silver color decorations mostly in decorative circles, has a silver colored braid to high back of saddle

Western Saddle [ 3 Answers ]

I have just started riding again... Western. When I am riding the saddle seems to be moving around so much that it makes me feel uncomfortable. When I put it on and tighten up the cinch it feels secure and after checking it again to make sure the horse didn't blow up her belly... it still feels...

Movie about a horse who jump into water. Girl horse jumper goes lind but still jumps [ 4 Answers ]

I'm looking for a movie where a young girl learns to jump a horse from up high into a tank of water. The girl ends up losing her sight and can't jump any more. But determined she learns to jump again with the help of a friend. What is the name of this movie?

Jumping in a western saddle? [ 4 Answers ]

OK. I need someone's opinion. There are some horses coming to stay at our place. They are western cow horses. But I love jumping and is it possible to jump in a western saddle?? Thanks

View more questions Search