Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    williamjhornby Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 08:13 PM
    What is the cable/wire gauge (product name) for installing 200 Amp Service Entrance
    I am installing a new service entrance to upgrade my home electrical service to 200 amps.

1 Please tell me what gage wire is required from the meter to the weather-head?

The service panel with main breaker is inside the laundry room 25 feet from the outdoor meter loop. I will run the wire/cable or other appropriate product through the attic.

2. Please tell me what gage wire and product type is best to run indoors from the meter loop to the service panel 25 feet away, (this is all indoors; in the attic and down through the wall) in which the service panel is mounted).

3. Is it recommended to install a circuit shutoff outdoors near the meter?

Thank You!
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Feb 14, 2007, 04:31 AM
    If you use metal or PVC conduit, you can use #2/0 copper with THHN/THWN or XHHW insulation, or #4/0 aluminum with XHHW insulation. If you use cable, then the typical type is #4/0 aluminum 3 wire cable called SEU cable.

Only 3 wire is needed between the weather head and a meter socket.

Since the panel will be 25 feet away from the meter, a Main Disconnect will be required at the meter location. There are meter sockets available with a 200 amp breaker builtin.

Since the Main Disconnect will be at the meter, from this point on 4 wire will be needed, 3-#2/0 Cu or #4/0 Al, along with a fourth equipment ground conductor. If using copper a #6 is needed, if aluminum #4 is needed.

I would use #4/0 SER cable, ( Note, not SEU cable) which has 3-#4/0 AL and 1- #4 Al all in one large cable, from the meter/disconnect to the indoor panel. You may need to use nail plates at locations the cable passes through framing members to protect the cable from damage,such as nails, screws, etc,

Any time aluminum wire is used, be sure to understand how to properly terminate the wire in mechanical connetors, by wire brushing, using anti-oxidant compound, and proper torquing the connector.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Service entrance cable [ 23 Answers ]

I am re-wiring an old house. It is a small 2 bedroom, 1 bath house. We put in a 200 amp service and need to run a service entrance cable about 20 -25 ft to the inside breaker panel. My question is how big of a gauge wire should we run for the service entance cable. #? 3 conductor with ground in...

Service entrance cable [ 2 Answers ]

Having new 100amp meter installed professionally,but I am burying wire to the building which is 125' from where meter is mounted. Will I have to upsize the size of wire because of the distance? I also intend to enclose in conduit, so I'm not worried about using "U" coded wire

200 amp service cable [ 1 Answers ]

Good moring everyone! Quick question, I'm still in the process of upgrading to 200 amp service. I've purchaced a panel box and the guy I bought it off said he'll give me the service cable with it. The question I'm trying to find out is, the size wire he is giving me going to work 2/0, 4/0, 6/0...

Wire Size For 200 Amp Service [ 2 Answers ]

Recently purchased new mobile home with a 200 amp breaker inside.the distance between the outside pole and inside breaker is about 70 feet.what size,or type,or gauge wire do i need to run. Lost in paradis... :) :confused:

How do I figure out what size wire to use on a 200 amp service. [ 2 Answers ]

My question is... how do I figure out what size wire to use when I know the Amperage of the electrical device. Is there some form of electrical calculation? For example I want to upgrade to a 200 amp panel from a 70 amp panel.

View more questions Search