Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    bd2312 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 01:07 PM
    What is the average speed for the trip to Detroit, the trip from Detroit, and the rou
    I don't get my homework. "Driving from Chicago to Detroit one day, Ricardo covered the 250 miles in five hours. Because of heavy traffic, the 250 mile return took six hours and fifteen minutes. Calculate average speed for the trip to Detroit,the trip from Detroit, and the round trip." It says that there are multiples answers to this and I have to explain why the terminology average speed is a bit misleading. Can someone please explain to me. I know that I have to use the formula distance divide by time equal speed but I don't know how to use that.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2012, 01:25 PM
    I'll walk you through a different example, and you can use that technique to do your homework.

Suppose you travel 100 miles in 2 hours. Your average speed during the trip is found by dividing the distance by time, as you know:

Average speed = distance/time = 100 miles/2 hours = 50 Miles per hour.

If you continue on a second segment of 100 miles and that segment takes 4 hours, your average speed for that 2nd segment is 100 miles/4 hours = 25 miles per hour.

To find the average speed for both segments divide the total distance traveled by the total time taken:

Average speed for both segments = (100 miles + 100 miles)/(2 hours + 4 hours) = 200 miles/6 hours = 33.3 miles per hour.

As for the term "average speed" being misleading; there are a couple of things. First, when Ricardo gets to Detroit what does he do? Does he turn right around and drive back, or does he hang out a while? Should the time he spends in Detroit before heading back be counted in the total elapsed time? Also - when he gets back to Chicago he's right back where he started from, so you could argue that the total distance traveled from beginning to end is 0 miles - after spending 11 hours driving he got no further than someone standing still.
    joypulv Posts: 21,591, Reputation: 2941
    current pert

Jan 11, 2012, 01:31 PM
    If I go 50 miles in 1 hour, that's 50 miles an hour, right? (Average)
    250 miles in 5 hours, what do you think is the average speed? Like you said, distance divided by time.
    For the division of the return, just use 6.25 as your divisor.
    For the whole trip, add all the miles and divide by all the time.
    So you have 3 answers, no more, no less.

I see nothing 'misleading' about average.
    Average means just what it says, despite stop signs and steep turns that you slow down on; you go faster other times. Average is the total of something divided by some unit, like time.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

How do I find the average speed of a round trip, to I go 80 mph and from I go 20 mph? [ 4 Answers ]

It is an online homework question that I am stumped on! All I know is that I travel to work at 80mph and from I travel 20mph, and it wants my average speed or avgV!

Taxes in Detroit for E3 visa holder [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, I am looking at commencing work in an architectural design company in Detroit, MI from Dec 08. I would hold an E3 visa. What would be the taxes I would be paying in Detroit as an E3 visa holder? Also what implication does the financial crises and rescue plan have on E3 visa holders? ...

How much tax I will have to pay in detroit Us [ 1 Answers ]

My annual salary from income will be 55k$. But I will be in us (detroit) for 3 months only (less than 89 days) I will be on L1 visa. How much Tax I have to pay. Will there be any tax exemption if I bring my wife and chile (less than 1 year old). Where I have to file tax return

What will be tax in us (detroit) for 3 months only. [ 1 Answers ]

My annual salary will be 55k$.But I will be in us (detroit) for 3 months only. How much Tax I have to pay. Will there be any tax exemption if I bring my wife and chile (less than 1 year old).

Moving from Houston to Detroit [ 1 Answers ]

I want to send my car from Houston to Detroit, How I can send it and how much it will cost me.

View more questions Search