Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    aggie100 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 04:38 AM
    Undercover marriege
    My boyfriend is back from the states. And asked me to marry him without telling my family. What can I do?I love him but I am so confused, we share a twoyear old baby girl.
    ScottGem Posts: 64,966, Reputation: 6056
    Computer Expert and Renaissance Man

Jan 11, 2012, 04:42 AM
    Why does he not want to tell your parents? Do they not like him because he got you pregnant?

Starting a marriage in secrecy is not a good idea.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 11, 2012, 04:51 AM
    Is he not wanting you to tell them that he asked, or is he wanting you to marry him and not tell them that you got married? Keeping a proposal a secret for awhile is one thing, keeping a marriage a secret is entirely different.

Why doesn't he want your family to know about it? If it is a marriage he wants you to not tell about, would you want to keep your marriage a secret? How long do you think you could not let anyone know about it?

Starting any relationship on deception usually does not go well. If the two of you are mature enough to be getting married, you should be mature enough to handle family concerns.

If there are concerns about what your family thinks of him, you can be very sure it will only be worse once they learn of his asking you to keep it from them. If you can help it, you don't want to be caught in the middle with feeling loyalties to him and to your family. That is very difficult to manage.

If he is thinking eloping would be a nice surprise, and your family would welcome him into the family, that is different.
    Cat1864 Posts: 8,007, Reputation: 3687
    Marriage Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 06:56 AM
    I think there is a lot of information missing such as how old you are and how long you have been a couple. Were you a couple when he was in the states? How long was he away? Did your parents support your relationship through all of this time or do they think you are dating someone new? Is he planning on telling his family?

Basically, you end the confusion by communicating with him.

Make certain there isn't any miscommunication happening such as it is the planning to get married/ceremony he wants to keep quiet instead of the marriage itself. I can see several reasons for 'eloping.' With the price tag of weddings these days, it can make sense to keep costs down. If he is concerned about your family taking over any wedding plans and making it about them instead you as a couple, it would be somewhat understandable. However, I can think of no really good reasons to hide a marriage.

Keep in mind that two year olds can and will let cats out of bags so trying to keep anything 'secret' for very long may not be possible.

Quite frankly, if you have any misgivings about getting married, then don't. If you have been long distance for awhile, it might be best to wait and get to know each other again now that you are in the same place. Take a moment to breathe and decide what you want. Then talk with him and see if there is a compromise.

Good luck.
    Fr_Chuck Posts: 81,301, Reputation: 7692
    Expert

Jan 15, 2012, 08:55 AM
    Yes, with what little info given, sorry I would just say no

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Marriege [ 0 Answers ]

ASALAM ALIKUM.. I would like to ask in islam if a couple r married and r having problems in there marriege they always fight never really talk only hve a physical relationship is it gunnah to live this marriege.. should they just divorce end the marriege? Can u *** help answer this question

Undercover cop poker blackmail ring - cinemax after dark [ 0 Answers ]

I'm trying to remember a movie I saw on late night cable maybe eight years ago. A female detective is concerned because her fellow cop has disappeared after having gone undercover. Her boss won't support her, so she leaves the force to try to find her friend on her own. She gets involved with an...

Courthouse marriege fees [ 4 Answers ]

Hi, My boyfriend, and I want to marry in at court, but just wondering what the cost would be.

Undercover cop movie [ 1 Answers ]

All I can remember from this movie is that 2 cops that are partners are trying to find this group of people. 1 of the cops enters some kind of underground fighting thing. There are weapons of the fences that are sometimes electric. The cops gets his head cut off by a big blonde dude at the end...

Popular Undercover Law Enforcement Infiltrations? [ 2 Answers ]

Hello, Everyone, I hope you are doing well. For some reason, a friend would like to hear real stories of undercover law enforcement infiltrations into organizations such as gangs. I tried looking online at news Web sites, but could not find any, other than this one: In 1998, ATF agent William...

View more questions Search