Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    lirpa11 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 04:54 PM
    So depressed and lonely?
    I am a in college fresh man and I've been ditched by many of my friends who have introduced me to a more social way of life. Without them I'm am completely mute but their gone now and I feel extremely alone.It is depressing when all you have to look forward to every day is a paper to write, math to do and you overeat because you have nothing better to do. I look around at the some what popular and more social people and I feel extremely inferior especially when one of them comments on how quiet I am. Sometimes I do talk and say hi but all I get back is a hi and a weird look. I'm ****ing normal just like the rest of them but I'm do believe me appearing shy and nervous makes me seem weird. I don't know what to do so I can feel more comfortable and be accepted and get friends to hang out with. On top of not having friends I have extremely low self esteem and I keep looking at what I had in the past. What could I do?
    smoothy Posts: 25,490, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 05:44 PM
    So... you find new friends... you are going to have to do this after you leave college... and many times throughout your life.

Many of the things you say you have feed upon themselves... you have to pick one thing (I prefer meet people)... force yourself to do it, stop worrying about what they might be thinking, it's that sort of thing that gets you into trouble... do that and a lot of the other things will take care of themselves. It takes work... and discipline... but if you want it enough... you CAN turn yourself from an introvert to an extrovert.

If you are looking for some magic that will change everything at once overnight without effort... its not going to happen...

You have to take the bull by the balls and just do it... it won' take a week, or likely a month, but you will see some things getting easier... but by a year you will notice big changes.

Trust me I wasn't always the Extrovert I am today. Once upon a time I was a fairly shy guy around people I didn't know. Now I can walk up to people on the street and start a conversation... or walk up to an attractive woman and talk to her... and ( if I wasn't happily married) ask her out. Get over that first issue you will find your confidence building.
    awesomagic Posts: 69, Reputation: 46

Jan 11, 2012, 11:08 AM
    There are a couple of ways of looking at this. First of all, your "social peers" will graduate... in about 6 years. They are so busy partying and having a good time that their mommies and daddies will run out of money before they can get their degree. Meanwhile, you've graduated and will already be working in your chosen field while they are all filling out resumes IF they graduate. So not being a party monster has definite advantages.

Secondly, if you want the social interaction then go get it. Remember the friends that introduced you to the more social scene? What did you do when they were around? Do the same thing now, just do it with different people. Nothing has really changed except your environment. The people haven't changed. Girls still like guys who are masculine, confident, and funny, and guys like girls who are sweet, and feminine, and charming. You are in a kind of "sink or swim" situation, so, either sink or swim. It's your choice.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Depressed and lonely [ 8 Answers ]

I have been married for over 10 years but there was never any growth in our relationship. My partner is short tempered and at times very violent. I have been enduring a lot of mental abuse of late. Since the last couple of years my partner has been asking me for a divorce but wants me to make the...

Feeling depressed and lonely [ 10 Answers ]

I am in my forties and I feel like giving up on men, as I just can't find one that is not either abusive or non committal. I have travelled a lot and it seems that I attract the same kind of man irrelevant of culture or nationality. What can I do to stop this circle of destructive relationships. I...

I feel lonely and depressed [ 3 Answers ]

Hi everyone. I do not know where to start :(. I feel so lonely and miserable, Im 20 yrs old.. I don't have many friends and the best friend that I had - has stopped talking to me for stupid reasons such as.. I fink all the boys like me, etc. Which is NOT d case but at times I would blame myself and...

Lonely and depressed [ 3 Answers ]

Basically ill try and explain as briefly as I can... im in a mess - I feel lonely and depressed! I've been involved with a few lads over the past year, I have never actually got with any of them, as I am petrified of commitment! I find myself becoming VERY easily attached to lads, as I enjoy...

View more questions Search