Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    tbone813 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 10, 2012, 09:07 AM
    New undermount sink - pipe coming out of wall impedes disposal
    The pvc pipe coming out of the wall sticks out about 6 inches. Can I just cut a few inches off to make room for the disposal? How do I thread the newly cut pipe?is there a connector?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 09:50 AM
    PVC pipe is usually glued, not threaded. But there are fittings that convert it to almost anything you need. It can be cut back and a new whatever you need glued on.

Remember there is two things you need... #1. A PVC primer you completely wipe the area to be glues and a bit beyond on BOTH parts... and #2 THe PVC glue itself... work fast as they set up very quick once they are put together.
    ballengerb1 Posts: 27,378, Reputation: 2280
    Home Repair & Remodeling Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 11:08 AM
    Before you do anything you need to compare the exact height of that PVC pipe with the height of the disposal drain. More than once I have worked on a kitchen where the undermount sink and disposal are not compatible due to the new, much lower trap. Water hates to run up hill and some installs create this situation. IF the PVC is still lower than the disposal trap then you can make you connections. PVC drain and trap are frequently not glued and use a PVC compression connector. So you can go either way, glue them and then that's it forever or use compression connectors. This is how to glue them How to Replace a PVC Sink Trap | Video | Kitchen Sinks | Kitchens | This Old House and if you go with compression then this. Video: Hooking Up a P-Trap to a Sink | eHow.com
    tbone813 Posts: 2, Reputation: 1

Jan 11, 2012, 01:43 PM
    Thank you ballengerb1 and smoothy. Fortunately for me, although the new sink resulted in the drain off the disposal being much lower, it was still several inches higher than the pvc coming out of the wall. (Although the disposal itself was as low as the pipe the drain was placed much higher on the disposal). I ended up cutting a portion of the pipe out and gluing the original male threaded end back on the pipe using a connector piece (or whatever its called). So I guess I used both techniques setting up the trap was a piece of cake after that.
    Thanks again for the help!
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Jan 12, 2012, 07:55 AM
    And we thank you for the update. Let us know if we can ever be of help in the future. Good luck, Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Kitchen sink won't drain, garbage disposal/pipe clog [ 6 Answers ]

My kitchen sink is clogged. Garbage disposal. Double basin sink, both sides filled with water. Will not plunge (covered one side with plunger and plunged the heck out of other side: nothing). If I turn on the disposal the water drains out of the one side and fills the other, when I turn it off they...

Chemical like odor coming from under sink in cabinet where disposal is? Any ideas? [ 2 Answers ]

I think we just solved the problem. We recently bought a new rubber sink plunger and the rubber plunger smells like creosote. We think that may be the odor. I will check back if the smell doesn't go away. Now we wonder if there is any kind of spray that will neutralize that strong odor. Thanks...

Capped pipe coming out of the wall behind the drain, hot/cold water under kit sink? [ 6 Answers ]

There is pipe that is capped, coming through the wall behind the drain and hot/cold water pipes below the kitchen sink. What is this pipe? It leaks slightly whenever I run the dishwasher, which of course is connected to the drain. I don't want to take anything apart when I don't know what it is. I...

Kitchen drain pipe adapter coming of wall is higher than disposal drain arm [ 3 Answers ]

We live in an older home. We installed a new garbage disposal on a double sink and now aren't sure what to do make it work, as the drain pipe adapter coming of wall is higher than disposal drain arm... any ideas? Thanks in advance.

New double sink, disposal, dishwasher - old drain pipe location too high? [ 8 Answers ]

This seems like the place to go! I've spent hours reading the posts but can't quite seem to find my exact situation. We are completely remodeling our kitchen and just installed the new double bowl cast iron sink, garbage disposal and dishwasher. All of the information we've been reading, including...

View more questions Search