Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    oakley123 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 11:24 PM
    Is it possible that people can have pet jellyfish
    I would really like to know if jelly fish could be kept by human beings as pets.
    Aurora_Bell Posts: 4,193, Reputation: 822
    Dogs Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 07:27 AM
    I suppose if you had a large enough tank and all the equipment to keep the water at the right levels.
    paleophlatus Posts: 459, Reputation: 112

Jan 10, 2012, 04:20 PM
    A salt-water tank, at that. Not an easy thing to keep balanced as needed. And, jelly fish catch smaller fish to eat by poisoning them with tiny needle-like organs located in their tentacles. You may not want to try to pet any 'pet jellyfish'. They are rather interesting, but are probably better appreciated in their natural surroundings.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2012, 07:55 AM
    Paleophlatus is absolutely right. I had a salt-water tank for a couple of years, and my daughter and her husband have a truly beautiful one right now, but it's a very expensive and difficult process to maintain one. I had a mostly invertebrate tank with jellyfish as occasional members of the community, but you can not handle them unless you know what you're doing. Getting stung is painful.

An octopus, on the other hand, is much more amenable to "pet" status. They need to live alone in a tank, which makes the tank smaller and easier to maintain, and they can (they might not, depending on the individual) be very social towards humans.

Again, like Paleophlatus, I think you can probably find a more suitable pet and leave the sea creatures to the experts and to their natural habitat.
    Dogs Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 09:40 AM
    I have a hard enough time maintaining my 20 gallon fresh water tanks! Lol I couldn't imagine having an octopus, but I have seen the very small ones sold in our aqua-etc pet store. They look very fascinating, but I can imagine they would be very high maintenance.
    Schoolmarm97 Posts: 206, Reputation: 47

Jan 13, 2012, 10:03 AM
    Aurora, my intro to octopi as pets came from a random encounter at the Salt Water Fish Emporium I haunted back then. She told me that she'd bought an octopus and one of those octagonal tanks, set up a habitat, and had it positioned behind her living room sofa. She said she was watching TV one night and got the feeling (you know how that is) that someone was behind her. She turned around, and it was her little octo with his front tentacles over the edge of the tank, watching TV with her. She changed the channel to see what he'd do. Turned out he had very specific tastes! Action shows made him turn black, grow horns, and scoot back into his cave. Musical and less-noisy shows made him come back out and turn nicer colors and watch for a while. Isn't that fascinating? Since it's only one to a tank (so there's no "inking" in stress), the care is apparently easier than a tank full of fish and invertebrates. Who would have thunk?
    Dogs Expert

Jan 13, 2012, 10:08 AM
    Very cool!

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Pet rent and pet deposit for medical companion [ 4 Answers ]

If you have a companion dog for medical reasons and live in a pet friendly apartment complex, by law are they allowed to charge monthly pet rent and a pet security deposit?

Pet Deposit or Pet Fee in Rental Agreement [ 2 Answers ]

Is there a maximum amount to charge for a pet when renting an apartment in the state of Georgia? Should the pet fee be refundable or non-refundable?

Introducing new pet kitten to old pet bull dog [ 1 Answers ]

Anyone know if there's a proper procedure for introducing a 10-week old kitten to a 5-year old, 80 pound, English bulldog? The bulldog's been a little snappy around puppies. Not sure how he'll react to a new kitten in the house.

Strange pet/people behaviour [ 15 Answers ]

:p I often find myself talking to my pets like they can really understand me. My Jack Russell keeps sticking his bottom in my German Shepherds face, falling asleep in plant pots and making strange grunting sounds when he sleeps. We used to have a pet crow who could talk (no lie)... only a few...

View more questions Search