Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jan 9, 2012, 09:05 PM
    Knockout reducing washers
    Is there a "correct" way to install knockout reducing washers? When I install the outer washer I put the lip down into the knockout hole, and the inner washer with the lip also down (facing the inside of the box) so the lip of the outer washer sits in it. I was told the lip of the inner washer should face up so it butts against the outer washer to fill in the gap. Then I was told either way is acceptable. In both cases the fittings tighten with no problem.
    tkrussell Posts: 9,659, Reputation: 725
    Uber Member

Jan 10, 2012, 03:49 AM
    The intention of the dropped ring near the center, or lip I believe your referring to, is to take up the space of the thickness of the metal box.

So, both washers should be placed opposite of each other so the dropped ring fills in the space.
    shader Posts: 235, Reputation: 12

Jan 10, 2012, 06:25 AM
    TK,

The more I thought about it the more it makes sense to install the washers opposite each other as you described. Thanks for confirming... shader

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Knockout holes [ 2 Answers ]

I've discovered that I have a plastic 2-gang switch box with a knockout that has been punched out but no wire coming through. Is there any remedy short of replacing the box and rewiring the switches?

View more questions Search