Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Kelmast Posts: 3, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 06:46 PM
    Transfer of ownership between siblings
    My siblings and I owe a triplex. Neither of us live in it. My brother wants out. He doesn't want to sell his portion but he wants to gift it to us. Are there any tax implications for him if he does this?
    AtlantaTaxExpert Posts: 21,836, Reputation: 846
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 08:35 PM
    There MAY be a gift tax implication. HOW MUCH is his share of the triplex worth?
    MukatA Posts: 7,110, Reputation: 176
    Tax Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 10:39 PM
    If the gift amount is more than $13,000, the donor will have to file gift tax return. Donor may or may not owe gift tax.

Jan 10, 2012, 08:58 AM
    His portion is around $58 000.
    Is there any way of doing it without having any taxes paid? This transfer is temporary, for about two years. Then he will go back on the house.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 09:08 AM
    As MukatA noted, the gift tax ceiling is $13,000 per giftee. If you and your brother are married and/or have children, he can gift his portion of the triplex in $13K portions to you and your brother, then another four $8K portions to your wife, your brother's wife and to two of his nieces/nephews. This would completely avoid any requirement for a gift tax return.

Or he can just give it all to you and your brother and just file a gift tax return. The $32,000 he would report on the gift tax return would count against the Unified Credit (under his eventual estate tax return).

There would be no gift taxes due with the gift tax return, though he probably WOULD need to hire a competent tax professional to prepared the gift tax return.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 12:50 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Kelmast View Post
    This transfer is temporary, for about two years. Then he will go back on the house.
    Does this mean after he gifts his share to you he wants you to return it in two years? Then it's not a gift, but rather a loan, and I really hope you have a well-written contract that spells out the terms and contingencies - such as what happens if during the 2 years the house is damaged or detroyed, who pays for major repairs, etc.
    Senior Tax Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 12:59 PM
    Oops, I missed the fact that the transfer is temporary. Good catch, ebaines.

That being the case, go with ebaines' advice. The guidance I gave regarding the gift tax does NOT apply because, as ebaines noted, it is NOT a gift, but rather a loan.

Jan 10, 2012, 09:00 PM
    Ebaines, since the transfer is temporary would he have to pay any taxes? Basically we want to refinance the triplex but his credit is not good. So we were told he had to do a transfer of ownership to remove his name from the house and mortgage. This would be for a temporary term of two years and then when his credit was established he could get back in the house as an owner.
    ebaines Posts: 12,131, Reputation: 1307
    Expert

Jan 11, 2012, 06:57 AM
    It would help if you could clarify what the expectations are during thse two years, and how firm the plan to put him back on the deed in two years time is. Is there a contract that spells this out? If there is, then it's as if he has gifted his share of ownership for a period of 2 years. Based on equivalent rental rates in the area you can do a calculation to see if its value is worth more than the annual gift tax exclusion, which is $13K/year per person. Since he is making this gift to two people this can be valued up to $26K without having to file a gift tax form. If it's worth more than that he should file a gift tax form, but no taxes are actually due (unless he has reached the lifetime limit of $5M in gifts).

If there is no contract, and also no expectation that he helps pay for mortgage or maintenance expenses during the two years, nor get any of the rental income, and he cannot use the property, then the IRS may look upon this as a true gift. So again, whether he has to file a gift tax form depends on the value of his 1/3 of the property. Then in two years when the two other siblings gift the original share back they in turn would have to file gift tax returns for the same reason.

I'm a bit surprised at the reason for this plan. If the credit rating for the other two siblings is good the bank should be happy if all 3 of you sign the mortgage docs together. Perhaps this has to do with how the property is titled - are you joint owners with right of survivorship, or are you tenants in common?

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Florida FAmily Law home ownership with siblings? [ 9 Answers ]

Myself and my two siblings inherited a house in Florida. In the will it was stated that I could live in the house until I voluntarily wanted to move. It was also stated in the will that no forced sale of the house would be permitted and that all three siblings would have to agree to a sale. My...

How do I clear the ownership deed to my home if siblings listed are deceased? [ 5 Answers ]

My father who brought my older brother into our home in 1967 as a co-owner. When my father died he left no will, so it meant all 5 children had a part ownership in his half of the property. I went to a lawyer of a friend who met with all of us and new deed was drawn where my 2 bothers and 1 sister...

Transfer of ownership of the house [ 1 Answers ]

6 of us partners bought 3 houses under an umbrella LLC. Now, that 2 of us want to split from the company. We are going to get a house. Do we just need a title transfer or do we have to go through all the closing costs?

Transfer Title to Siblings After Parents Pass Away [ 1 Answers ]

My mother and older brother are in title to a property located in Allegheny County that was purchased in 1977. (They have both since passed away.) Mom passed away after my brother. Per my mother's last will and testament, she left the house to me and a younger brother. The problem is the estate was...

Transfer of Ownership [ 1 Answers ]

My mother recently became unable to care for her home. She refinanced it and asked me to move in. She is now living with my sister. I am paying the loan even though it's in her name. She has asked me to get information about transferring the ownership. She would like the house to be in...

View more questions Search