Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    iamone Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 03:12 PM
    My husband doesn't respect women, at all.
    My husband and I have been together for 7 years. When we first started dating, I was 19, already had a 3 year old child, had no education, job, lived with mom, etc... So needless to say, I had pretty low self-esteem.

In the beginning of our relationship, I remember hearing him talk disrespectfully to his mother a lot (He gets that from his father, who also doesn't respect women. They both believe women are stupid and in every way inferior to men.). Anyway, shortly after my husband and I got "serious," he started disrespecting me too and has ever since. He calls me bad names all the time, acts annoyed when I ask him innocent questions because he says my questions are stupid, won't tell me where he's going when he leaves because he says it's not my business, etc.

He is in the National Guard, and has to go to drills once a month for a weekend, and I can't even ask him in advance when his drill will be because he gets mad and says I don't need to know.

The biggest problem is that I am different now than I was when we first started dating. I am almost finished with my bachelor's at my local university, I have a good job, and accordingly my self-esteem has gone up. I now feel like he has no right to be so disrespectful toward me. I feel like I deserve so much more, although he doesn't believe so. I try to talk to him about this but he refuses to have a conversation about it. I've told him I want a divorce and he doesn't believe me. I don't know what to do. He's also never romantic at all, but he's never been that either. Is it selfish for me to leave him now after I've put up with this for so long? We have one child together (3 years old) and I am pregnant again now.
    tickle Posts: 23,796, Reputation: 2674
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 04:16 PM
    You got pregnant again with this person, and you have moved on considerably from what you say, I take my hat off to you for what you have probably been through and trying hard to keep it all together. Now you are stuck.

Is he reasonable when you talk go him ? Does he drink ?

He doesn't respect you, after becoming pregnant the second time, you thought it would make a difference?

Sorry iamone, you are better off on your own and SAFER
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 9, 2012, 05:32 PM
    I don't think its selfish to want better for yourself, be respected, loved, and honored. Make a plan and make a believer out of him.

Good Luck.
    DoulaLC Posts: 10,488, Reputation: 1952
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 09:00 PM
    It won't be easy, but it sounds as though you certainly would be better off without him. Staying will only bring you more of the same. Can you picture yourself going through what his mother has all these years? How truly heartbreaking for her.

Besides yourself, you have your children to consider. There is no possible way that an environment like that would be emotionally, and possibly physically, healthy for a child. Just imagine what they would be learning about relationships.

Speak to a lawyer, have the support from trusted friends and family before you bring it up again. One of those weekend drills just might be his turn to wonder where you have gone.
    talaniman Posts: 54,327, Reputation: 10855
    Expert

Jan 10, 2012, 09:29 AM
    Besides yourself, you have your children to consider. There is no possible way that an environment like that would be emotionally, and possibly physically, healthy for a child. Just imagine what they would be learning about relationships.
    You see what your husband learned from HIS father, and its reasonable to think your children will learn the same thing from their father.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

For MEN: Do you test women? And how can a woman gain respect? [ 5 Answers ]

Do men test the woman they are dating, or are in a relationship with? Like will you purposely not call, or "forget" to call just to test her, and see how she will react? Also, what would the ideal reaction be? Or do you purposely check out a girl, or talk about how good looking actresses are...

My husband does not respect me and never has [ 14 Answers ]

I have been married for 23 years. My husband does not respect me and never has. He will say demening and hurtful thing because he doesn't get what he wants. We are high school sweethearts. Early in our relationship, he would use things from my past that he didn't like to try and make me feel...

My husband does not respect me [ 7 Answers ]

I re-married three yrs ago. My husband does not respect me, he is always arguing. He curses at me and insults me all the time, sometimes in front of my 12 yrs old. I feel like I am walking on egg shells. He does not treat my son with respect or love. And my son told me that if he hits him he...

Have men loss all respect for women? [ 7 Answers ]

I was thinking about the Imus thing and him referring to these women and “nappy headed ho’s”. It made me think about other derogator things men say to and about women. I also started to think about how our generation of women conduct themselves. We have women that sleep around with every man...

View more questions Search