Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    strausk Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Feb 13, 2007, 02:09 PM
    Proper flushing
    I'm currently having a problem with my toilet not flushing properly ( everything not going down ). Could this be a venting problem? How can it be fixed?
    Regards, Ken
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 09:18 PM
    There are so many answers to this. Give more details. Age, size, children in home, type of paper used, do you use the blue stuff in the tank?
    It could be the water level too low in tank, flapper closing too quickly, something clogging it, did it work well when installed? Are you using 2 ply paper? Try single ply [i know, don't say that in front of a woman]
    letmetellu Posts: 3,151, Reputation: 317
    Ultra Member

Feb 14, 2007, 10:19 PM
    Do you see any grey stains anywhere in the bottom of the commode. If you are in as area that has lots of chemicals in the water there is a chance that some of the stuff has collected up in the trap of the commode and is causing friction as the water tries to flush out. When it does this the water just swirls around and never really flushes.
    The way I get rid of this build up is with muriatic acid. Put about a quart in the commode and let it set for an hour and then flush it out, try not to breath much of the fumes that might be put off from the acid. Do no spill any on the floor and if you get some on your hands wash it off immediately. If you have two commodes do both. Do not save any of the acid. Use it all with in a week and throw the bottle away. Again do not save any.
    doug238 Posts: 1,560, Reputation: 62
    Ultra Member

Feb 15, 2007, 05:46 AM
    Do not put muratic acid in your toilet, it removes the gloss and exposes the rough surface of the toilet.
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2007, 07:34 AM
    I have one that most repair plumbers miss.. Look down at the bottom of the bowl. If there is a small hole, then that is a jet that starts the syphon action. If it's clogged the water will just swirl around and slowly go down leaving solids behind. Take your finger,(UGH! ) and run it around the inside of the opening. Over the years minerals build up and cut down on the syphon (flush) action. If it is rough or you feel build up, take a table knife and put a bend in it to get around the curve in the bowl and chip and scrap it clear. Next take a coathanger and clear out the holes around the rim. They start the swirling action. And last, check the water level in the tank. It should be 1/2" below the top of the over flow tube. And speaking of the overflow tube, Make sure the small 1/8" tube from the ballcock to the white overflow tube is connected so it discharges in it and that it's flowing when the ballcock fills. This is what raises the water level in the bowl. For a good solid flush they all have to work together. Hope this helps . Tom
    speedball1 Posts: 29,301, Reputation: 1939
    Eternal Plumber

Feb 15, 2007, 07:45 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by doug238
    do not put muratic acid in your toilet, it removes the gloss and exposes the rough surface of the toilet.
    When In was a boy in my fathers plumbing shop up in Wisconsin we had bad problems of toilet bowls liming up. My job was to take them out in the ally and boil the lime out using muratic acid. While it got rid of the lime without damage to the finish of the bowl I can't say the same for my lungs.
    The fumes scarred my lumgs and to this day I have to explain to insurance companies that I didn't have TB. DO NOT use muratic acid to clean your toilet bowl and especially in a enclosed space such as a bathroom. Listen to me! I speak from experience. Tom

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Proper English [ 1 Answers ]

What is the proper way to use the word comraderie?

Flushing problems [ 4 Answers ]

When I flush my toilet the water rises to the top of the bowl then drains real slow and leaks water out around one side of the toilet and still won't flush nothing down?

Flushing problems [ 1 Answers ]

We are having problems with our toilet fushing. You push the handle and the water flows, but it doesn't seem to have much power in it. The water in the bowl doesn't move much. The bowl starts filling up and then you can see that it starts to drain out, but the water doesn't spin around much...

Proper venting [ 3 Answers ]

Hello Experts, My son and I are doing the new DWV system for our house. I have a lot of experience in doing plumbing so I'm not a novice, but I do need to make sure I am doing the venting properly (I know the vent is just as important as the drain lines) as I haven't done anything quite this...

Toilet not flushing [ 2 Answers ]

My toilet has stopped flushing. The water is in the cistern and if I push the ball down the water fills up. It feels like there s no pressure when I push the handle. I have no plumbing knowledge at all so could you tel me what is causing this and how I can fix it without calling a plumber if...

View more questions Search