Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Ruben V Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 07:18 AM
    Can I use a 50 amp GFCI breaker to install a pool pump that calls for 20 amp GFCI?
    I am replacing my old pool pump with a variable speed pump that calls for a dedicated 20 amp, 2 pole GFCI breaker, but I have not found an outdoor box with a 20 amp GFCI. The power from the mail panel is coming from a 30 amp breaker and I want to split this line with a GFCI dedicated for the pump. Home depot has a 50 amp GFCI panel for hot tubs... Can you please advise if I can use the 50 amp GFCI in place of the 20 amp GFCI?

Thanks for your help,
    Tonyr1084 Posts: 18, Reputation: 7

Jan 9, 2012, 07:38 AM
    Two reasons you shouldn't try that. First, there is fire danger. The wiring will need to be sufficient to carry that much load. If your old circuit was rated at 20 amps then you need to stay with that, otherwise something other than the breaker will blow. Second, with a big breaker and small wiring, there's a chance that a long enough wire may have enough resistance to NOT trip the breaker should something short out. In that case, something grounded could become hot (live) and you can get a shock (dead).

Keep looking for what you need. There are electrical outlet stores that specialize in electrical equipment FAR AND ABOVE what you can get at a place like Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace and any other big box store out there.

Good luck.

")
    Ruben V Posts: 14, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 08:20 AM
    Thanks Tony. This is helpful and I will keep looking for the 20 amp GFCI breaker.

Best regards,

Ruben
    Repnaimenarie Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Apr 18, 2012, 11:45 AM
    After a careful read I thought it was very enlightening. I appreciate you taking the time to put this article together. Once again I find myself spending way too much time both reading and commenting. But so what, it was still worth it! =-=
    GoldenHVAC Posts: 5, Reputation: 1

Apr 29, 2012, 02:38 AM
    Quote Originally Posted by Tonyr1084 View Post
    Two reasons why you shouldn't try that. First, there is fire danger. The wiring will need to be sufficient to carry that much load. If your old circuit was rated at 20 amps then you need to stay with that, otherwise something other than the breaker will blow. Second, with a big breaker and small wiring, there's a chance that a long enough wire may have enough resistance to NOT trip the breaker should something short out. In that case, something grounded could become hot (live) and you can get a shock (dead).

Keep looking for what you need. There are electrical outlet stores that specialize in electrical equipment FAR AND ABOVE what you can get at a place like Lowe's, Home Depot, Ace and any other big box store out there.

Good luck.

")
    Hi,

You have three things to consider. Wire amperage rating is probably #10 wire, with a maximum fuse rating of only 30 amps, no code says it is unsafe to install a 20 amp breaker at the panel for #10 wire, you just can not go higher than 30 amps.

The 50 amp GFI really does not care if it is located on a 20 amp circuit breaker, or a 50 amp. It might not even care if it was on a 100 amp circuit, it will probably limit the amperage to only 50 amp maximum before tripping. It will still trip at a 0.006 amp imbalance between the conductors going into the load and back out, so it will still work as a GFI even if on a 20 amp main circuit breaker.

The new motor specifies that it must have a maximum over current protection of only 20 amps, so a new 20 amp circuit breaker in the panel will satisfy this need. The 50 amp GFI will provide GFI protection that is desired, and you will meet both of the requirements to make this new motor work safely.

So the 50 amp GFI will work safely if the overcurrent protection feeding it from the main panel is set to the motor's requirement of 20 amps max. You might find that a 20 amp GFI is much less expensive than a 50 amp, so you might save money by using the smaller GFI, but if there is no cost savings, then it is not a requirement to use a 20 amp, when overcurrent protection is not needed, the 50 amp rated equipment will be fine with the load that you have.

Fred.
    douglas e Posts: 4, Reputation: 1

May 12, 2012, 06:56 PM
    Quote Originally Posted by Ruben V View Post
    I am replacing my old pool pump with a variable speed pump that calls for a dedicated 20 amp, 2 pole GFCI breaker, but I have not found an outdoor box with a 20 amp GFCI. The power from the mail panel is coming from a 30 amp breaker and I want to split this line with a GFCI dedicated for the pump. Home depot has a 50 amp GFCI panel for hot tubs... Can you please advise if I can use the 50 amp GFCI in place of the 20 amp GFCI?

Thanks for your help,
    Very bad idea

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

50 Amp gfci breaker how to measure total amps [ 1 Answers ]

I measure the amps on the 50 amp breaker the black wire measures 23.5 and the red wire measures 23.2 do I add these together or is the spa pulling 23.5 amps?

Changing 15 amp non-GFCI split to 20 Amp GFCI single (kitchen counters) [ 11 Answers ]

I have an older home and I am redoing the kitchen. The kitchen outlets are currently split ones as per the code of the day. They are presumably using 14 gauge wire. (or maybe it may be 12 since it is the 3 wire loomex) It is not practical to re-run the wire. One of them is quite close to a kitchen...

Connecting 120/240 volt line to light, gfci and pool pump breaker [ 15 Answers ]

I have recently demolished my shed and long with it the electrical connections which powered my light switch, gfci receptical and pool pump. I thought I had the electrical connections correct but the breaker is tripping when I attempted to turn it back on. Breaker is 15 Amp The line coming...

Underfloor heating 15 amp GFCI to 30 amp breaker [ 3 Answers ]

I have installed a 240v flextherm heating cable under a floor hoping to use existing 240v. Heating circuit to power it. There are 2 other baseboards on this circuit GFCI thermostat for floor is rated for 15 amp and heating circuit is on 30 amp breaker. I am not getting any power through the GFCI...

15 amp GFCI breaker popping [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, I have a GFCI breaker that pops when we vacuum in any room in the back of the house. Since we could be using 4 different plugs that pop the same breaker, would you start with the breaker? Also, would it be unwise to go to a 20 amp GFCI breaker :eek: ? Thanks Scott

View more questions Search