Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    ador_19_20_21 Posts: 1, Reputation: 1

Jan 9, 2012, 07:15 AM
    Why does my 31/2 girl wake up screaming and frantic?
    I came to this site because my three and a half year daughter is experiencing the same thing. She does not point to any particular place but behaves as if the "thing" is creeping on the bed or in her dress. Last time, we had to remove all the beddings and her dress.

Surprisingly in the morning, she remembered all that happened but this time pointed to a spot which scared her. I checked and realised it was just a cardigan. I told her I will take her to the hospital. On our way, she begged me not to tell the doctor she was afraid of a "cardigan".
    My question is could it be that she had a bad dream or spiritual since this is not the first time this has happed.

Please help, I don't know what to do.
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 07:26 AM
    Why did you take her to the hospital because she woke up crying and screaming and afraid? Children often experience night terrors, are afraid something lives under the bed or in the closet.

You need to take her to a Pediatrician and ask him/her for a medical opinion first, before you consider any other options.

You also have to be very careful not to plant any ideas in her head that she's possessed, sees ghosts, anything else.
    Tonyr1084 Posts: 18, Reputation: 7

Jan 9, 2012, 07:44 AM
    I whole heartedly agree with JudyKayTee. DON'T plant any ideas in her head.

When I was a child I used to have nightmares too. Sometimes they were results of things I saw on TV (which is why they don't recommend some horror movies for kids under a certain age). What my mom did was teach me that bad dreams were in the bed and pillow. The way to get them out was to rub them off the bed and pillow. Simply, she would have me get out of the bed, pull the sheets all the way down and begin wiping the bad dreams away like crumbs, did the same thing for the pillow.

I KNEW that the bad dreams were gone and I could go back to sleep with confidence there were going to be no more bad dreams that night.

Being a father of five girls, I've had to do the same thing for them when they were young. IT WORKS. Kids believe anything you tell them. If you tell her she's possessed she will believe it and live in fear. Treat her as normally as possible and don't give any hints to the supernatural. If YOU have fears of the supernatural, maybe you should talk to a shrink.

Good luck.

")
    JudyKayTee Posts: 46,503, Reputation: 4600
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 09:45 AM
    Tony - love your answer. Both a "like" and applause.

I have a stepgrandchild who is afraid of "something" in his closet when he stays with us. At night I spray special "go away" spray (which is actually a light cologne) in the closet and close the door, making the closet "safe" for another 24 hours.

It works.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

Is it right to do exeecise when I wake up.. even if I wake up at 12 pm? [ 3 Answers ]

Is it right to do exercise when I wake up.. even if I wake up at 12 pm?

Screaming dryer [ 1 Answers ]

My White Westinghouse dryer - model DE35ORXW4 - is about nine years old and the warranty has expired. It screams terribly then occasionally quietens for a bit. I have read the posts and see that it's probably the ball bearings. I'm not confident about changing them and it will cost a fortune to get...

Frantic mom is notified of Courthouse Wedding 1 day prior [ 3 Answers ]

Hi, my daughter, who is 8 1/2 months pregnant, has decided to marry the father of the child before the child is born. They have both decided they will do this at the Courthouse... tomorrow. This of course is not what I ever thought my only daughter's wedding would be like, but they promised that...

Frantic tax question [ 5 Answers ]

Hi, I am an American, currently living in Belgium. My husband is Belgian and is retired from his job here in Belgian for which taxes are taken out here. I have searched and searched but have been unable to find an answer to my tax question. Can I file as single since my situation does not fall...

View more questions Search