Ask Experts Questions for FREE Help !
Ask
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2012, 06:40 AM
    Edge of a piece of lumber
    Part of the lumber on the edge has rotten away. The rest of the lumber is okay.
    I could use wood dough. But how can you get a nice edge. Fold and glue a piece
    Of cardboard. Wrap it around the edge before for good definition then apply the wood dough. Or does someone know a better way?
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 07:19 AM
    Cut the bad part off and use it for something else. And buy a new piece because what you want to do won't be structurally sound.

If its in direct contact with concrete or the ground, you HAVE to use pressure treated wood or this will happen again soon. Moisture does permiate and travel through concrete. You need a durable waterproof barrier or a pressure treated wood that's resistant to rot. There are a few kinds that have a natural resistance... but they tend to be too expensive for framing use. But are suitible for things like outdoor furniture.

Wood putty is intended to fill small holes or defects... not to build a section of lumber with.
    Tonyr1084 Posts: 18, Reputation: 7

Jan 9, 2012, 07:51 AM
    I agree with Smoothy. If the wood is structural, then wood dough will NEVER hold up the load. You can be in store for even bigger problems if you fail to address the situation correctly.

I agree with Smoothy because he's right. You probably need pressure treated wood to repair the rot. That way you still have the structural support AND you won't have rotten wood again in a few years.

Good luck.

")
    Oneill474 Posts: 427, Reputation: 2

Jan 9, 2012, 01:27 PM
    It is only a fascia board. Trim around the house
    smoothy Posts: 25,492, Reputation: 2853
    Uber Member

Jan 9, 2012, 01:34 PM
    I'd till replace it... its not going to bond as well as you hope it will... with the humidity swings its going to pop off as the wood expands and contracts (because the patch won't). And all it takes is a crack and you have your entry point for more water to start the cycle again. If it was a small hole I would feel diffently, but there is nothing to contain it on the end of a piece.

I have heard of certain epoxy products engineered for such a thing... but wood putty isn't one... and they are proprietary and haven't seen them sold in a store. Only on TV on one of the various Home repair shows a few years ago.

Not your question? Ask your question View similar questions

Question Tools Search this Question
Search this Question:

Advanced Search

Add your answer here.

Check out some similar questions!

What is lumber [ 4 Answers ]

What is lumber

Treated lumber [ 1 Answers ]

How long should treated lumber dry before applying water sealer?

Treated lumber [ 2 Answers ]

How soon can I paint stained lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Treated lumber [ 3 Answers ]

How soon can I paint treated lumber? And could I used screws or nails on treated lumber?

Name of lumber sizes [ 4 Answers ]

What would a piece of lumber the following sizes normally be referred to in the industry? a. 1-1/2" x 3-1/2" x 92.5" fir b. 1" x 5-1/2" cedar

View more questions Search